We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop struggles, fan comes on and restarts. Help?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, Whenever I try to delete some files on my external hd, it says it is 'deleting' but never actually does, my laptop fans comes on, the laptop slows down so i click out of the ex hd and stop the deleting of files (which never actually delete) and still the fan is on, laptop is slow and my task manager shows that 'performance'/CPU usage is 100%. Also, it says that it is using 1.2GB of Ram and i have 4gb. From experience of the last week or so, within an hour the laptop will switch off.

Similarly, if i try to burn a DVD with too many tabs open (18 pages), it becomes too much for my laptop and it turns off.

It is Vista nd is about three years old and is a Medion

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

sounds like it getting too hot so it slows down,18tabs is a lot for an older computer If you can take the backplate off it maybe the fan has collected a load of dust,clean it with a canister of compressed air or a new paint brush

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thanks but i still would like to know why it doesn't revert to 'normal' after i have closed the external hd and still shows as cpu usage 100.

Incidentally, i now only have 3 pages open and the fan is still on full.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

In a Medion bios you should be able to stop fan running all the time. That's what I did with a much older Medion Laptop than yours and it still working ok, though I have had to clean the Heat Exchanger on the CPU

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

It could be saying "Recycle Bin not large enough" I'll let you chose the method

eddie

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Or the hard drive is nearly full

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Hi Buel

"and my task manager shows that 'performance'/CPU usage is 100%......but i still would like to know why it doesn't revert to 'normal' after i have closed the external hd and still shows as cpu usage 100......"

It may be helpful if you could identify which process is maxing out your CPU and affecting your laptop's performance so adversely. The next time it happens try this:

In Task Manager, click the "Processes" tab. Tick the option to "Show processes from all users" and OK any security prompts you may get. Click the "CPU" column heading to sort the processes so the busiest ones are at the top then post back the name of the guilty process. Note that you can ignore "System Idle Process" as that's the opposite of busy.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi and thanks.

It says 'Firefoz.exe is taking a massive 439,908 but that is only with 4 pages open, when i had 18 or so it was nowhere near that amount?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"It says 'Firefoz.exe is taking a massive 439,908....."

Thanks but that's memory consumption and isn't what I asked for. I'm looking for the process that's using 100% of your CPU which appears to be causing the laptop to overheat and turn itself off.

Your laptop has 4GB of RAM with masses free so I'm not concerned that Firefox is using over 400MB.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Is not 4 Gig of Ram too much for Vista, unless its 64 bit os

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

I'm sure there's no such thing as problems being caused by too much RAM Woodchip. The worst thing that can occur is that Vista will only be able to utilise around 3.2GB if it's the 32-bit version.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad