We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

@mail.ru....how do I get rid of this pest?

1248fixx

Likes # 0

About 3 weeks or so ago, I downloaded a 'critical' W7 update via Microsoft, and ever since then, on opening Firefox ( or even IE)the opening page is from some Russian search engine site called '@mail.ru'. I can then navigate via Google to my fave sites etc, but it's a real pain, and I'm also certain that page loading has slowed a lot too! can anyone help me to get rid of this pest?

many thanks Ian

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I don't think it was a Microsoft critical link but malware. Have a look in ad-ons and extentions, in Firefox, and disable or uninstall anything you don't recognise. Re-set your home page. Check programs and features for an unknown program and uninstall. Run Ccleaner's reg cleaner. Finally run Malwarebytes in safe mode then normal mode.

Free malwarebytes link, refuse the trial.

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

Run a Hijackthis scan and have a look at the log to see what processes / Services / Browser plugins /BHO's are running sounds like you got malware if you want help finding it in the log get it uploaded and i will take a look

Like this post
1248fixx

Likes # 0

rdave - many, many thanks....running Ccleaner now, but resetting the home page seems to have worked as pages are now loading a LOT quicker already.

Cheers

Ian

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Why not do a Restore to before the problem

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014