We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP asking for user name

DAKAR
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi All I have a slight inconvience and its starting to bug me,on my computer running windows XP When I start up the boot sequence stops and I get a blue screen and it has a dividing line like the left and right hand pages of a book. On the left side it says Microsoft Windows,and below that it says To Begin Click Your User Name. On the right side there are two icons one above the other the top one has my name against it and the bottom one says HP_Administrator. I have to click my name before the boot up continues,this is annoying as sometimes I forget,switch on and walk away,then when I come back expecting to see the desktop, it is still on the user name screen. How can I get the computer to bypass this screen and go straight to desktop like it used to do? regards dakar

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Accounts options ---

To stop your system from displaying the Welcome Screen, go to "Start->Run" and type in

"control userpasswords2" (but without the quotations).

Untick the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" option and click OK

Like this post  
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

1) Click Start, Run and enter CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2

2) Select the user account you want automatically logged on

3) Uncheck Users must enter username and password..........

4) Click Apply

5) In the next dialogue, enter the password, if any, for the account you chose.in Step 2

6) Ok your way out.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

If your password is blank it should by-pass the welcome screen anyhow.

This from Windows XP Inside Out: "If your computer has only one account (aside from Administrator and Guest), and if that account doesn’t have a password, Windows XP automatically logs on as that user during startup. You won’t see the Welcome screen or any other logon screens; Windows launches straight to your desktop."

But maybe in your case the Administrator Account is called HP_Administrator for some reason and so the above is not happening. So you'll need to do as the other two respondents have suggested.

Like this post
DAKAR

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat/\0/\ Chronos the 2nd Batch Thankyou very much for the help,tried it this evening and it worked fine. One last thing where do you click to resolve your post. cheers once again Dakar

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

click in the grey column to the right of the answer that helped you sort the problem.

This will then form a green tick.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?