We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

K-Lite codec pack full or k-lite codec pack 64 bit

tonyq

Likes # 0

looking at the add/remove in control panel, I have the following 2 items. K-Lite codec pack full & k-lite codec pack 64 bit. Do I need both? if not which to delete. Running Windows 7 (64bit)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'd remove both, reboot and install this. Just check when you install that you might have to untick some features during installation as it's from C|NET.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Can i ask why you installed the codec pack?

If your having trouble with media player playing some file types download another player that doesnt need any additional codecs Vlc media player http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Just remove the 64 bit version. It is not needed if you have the 32 bit version installed. The 32 bit version is kept more up to date anyway. I have always found this to be an excellent player and codec pack and is very flexible.

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

Thank you all for the replies. I think I downloaded the codecs when i could not play a certain file. I have the VLC player and think even that could not play the file. I think I will do as alanrwood suggested,then if VLC player as problems,try the Windows codecs. Thanks again.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

which type of file are you trying to play?

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

The K-Lite codec pack contains "Media Player Classic" so you don't need VLC.

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

mart7, cannot remember it's quite a while ago, can't even say if I ever did or did not find a solution..

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

alanrwood it does contain media player classic but it certainly doesnt do as much as vlc,the biggest thing with vlc is you dont install any codec packs

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...