We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

iso file- now what?

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Having downloaded an ISO file, what does one do with it?

Various ;unpacking options do not work.

So what is the next move please?

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

You need to burn the file to a disk using an iso compatible burning program. Try CDBurnerXP as it is free and available from

http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home

It will burn CDs and DVDs and is compatible with Vista, Win7 and Win 8.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Or, as I prefer, you can mount it as a virtual CD using this. Virtual Clone Drive.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What you do depends on what's in it and what OS you are using - Windows or Linux?

an .iso is an image file of a dvd.

If a film iso then VLC will mount it and play it.

this microsoft technet blog gives some info on how to mount as a virtual drive but it really does depend on the contents of the .iso It's usually easier to burn it to a dvd.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Sorry chaps should have thought this through a little more

It is in fact on a disc[burned as an ISO with CD Burner XP Pro]

It is from this disc I am working

It simple run has be right ckicked to open'

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Not sure what your last sentence means.

Did you just burn the downloaded iso to the DVD as the original file mwith an iso extension or did you use CDBurner to create the DVD from the iso file.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Properly burning an ISO image file to a disc is a bit different than just burning the ISO file as you would any other file.

You'll need to choose the "burn image" or "write image" option in your burning software and then choose the file.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thank you all for your responses Yesterday was not a good day- I guess I was Hyper a lot f the time. This item is linked to an earlier post

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4217202/toshiba--portage-100--does-not-like-ubuntu/

Relating to an elerly Toshiba notebook- Portage 100 It simply will not run Linux distros Following advice , downloaded Puppy Precise aand burned it on another machine and run the disk in the Toshiba

Nothing happened.

Hence this post.

Inserted the disk in the machine that burned it

Puppy loaded

So it seem the Toshiba is going t be stuck with Windoze.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Sounds as though the Tosh DVD drive is incompatible with the disk you have used. Try another brand and see if other disks will play in the Tosh ie other DVDs if the Distro is on a DVD. This is not an unusual problem. Another alternative is to get a friend to burn the Distro for you and it just might them be more compatible.

Like this post
MadNoah

Likes # 0

Like this post
MadNoah

Likes # 0

I use a program named WinISO Standard 6. It can cope with the ISO file. I am not sure what you need to do next step. The software can edit, mount, burn, create, extract iso files. Maybe this software can help you solve the problem you met. Good luck.

Go to http://www.winiso.com

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks