We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Need to Help A Friend NetBIOS over TCP/IP Attacks

RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Hi all

Wondering if you can shed light on this one one of my Friends is having on off problems with his computer It's an Alien Ware By Dell and his O/S is Windows 7 64bit he's had this problem for a couple of years.

It's become apparent he's a victim of a NetBios attack TCP/IP Where some random person is scanning ip and ports in order to connect to his computer.

He seems to think that this random person is using Herins Boot CD on his computer.

He's using a Cable Modem Connection and has tried a few routers to combat this problem but he says these attacks keep happening.

I for one looked up about this attack and it doesn't work with Windows 7 Or Does it? He's trying so hard to get rid of this and has frequently re-installed his O/S but the issue keeps coming back.

I'm not sure of the Security Setup he has.

I've googled on how to block this from happening and I've come up with this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313314

http://marjanrepic.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/disable-netbios-over-tcpip-in-windows-7-ent/

So how do I help him further and am I on the right lines in order to help him solve the problem?

Thanks

Rob

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

I WISH i knew how to make myself part of NO NETWORK. .with NO SHARING of anykind ive tried to disable file sharing on my nic.. in windows.. in firewall To do this go to network and sharing centre and change advanced sharing settings.Turn off network discovery,file and printer sharing,turn off public folder sharing and be sure to save changes!

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

It might also be worth opening the network and sharing centre and check how many connections he has and delete all but the one he uses.

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

I will ask him.

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

that does nothing. Its how I always run my network

I even have gone into services and turned them off.. as well as the network card and unchecked file sharing etc.

nothing works they turn it all back on

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

"Quote" they mask as auth users... using my user.. or the secret admin/user profiles... so you cant view or even see them muchless remove them if you did.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Painful ~ He's going to get nowhere until he secures his Router and blocks anyone that is connecting through it. Do a (google) search for 'how to check router for other users connected' He needs to make a note of all that are connected.

No idea what router he is using but here's Example From community.linksys.com "If you do have someone connection(sic) to your wireless network you can set up your security and write down the MAC address of the device you do not want to connect to your WLAN and block it. Make sure you know all the Mac addresses to all of your devices on your network before you block any"

He should switch the Wireless (WLAN) off on the router then no one can connect to any of his equipment via WiFi.

~As for his PC: To fully disconnect from Internet unplug ethernet cable as well. Basic tidying up of pc should always be done when not connected to internet.

~As for rest, if he does register on here wanting help remind him that a full list of his equipment, makes and models and what is connected to what and on what package (Comcast) services he gets. And don't forget it will be on show to the rest of the world.... And does he know the difference between tv through Comcast cable box and a Smart tv (if a smart tv is what he has and thinks it doesn't work, which according to Comcast forum is what happens if you have a cable box)

Rob, your post Yesterday at 7:28PM: RF IN and RF OUT on his cable box, why does he think that means radio frequency aka remote control? do a google for 'comcast cable box RF IN and RF OUT'

also, with respect, the " marks are usually put round the text that has been quoted or use them thus: quote/" blah blah blah "/end quote or even use italics to distinguish his text from yours, to make it easier for others to read. (please)

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

I've passed this information on....

Sorry about the quotes I didn't know how to do it thanks for the tip!

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

He seems hooked on this Hirens Boot CD this is what he's saying the current issue is:

hirens ... boot ... cd i run NO NETWORK.. no wireless.. no router... I HAVE TRIED THAT.. both wired and wireless. ALL passwords can be bypassed ... I can even do it.. so its odd that you dont think its possible.

i can do it with 100mb in files... or less.

the crack for any windows passwords is only 400kb hen imagine dells toolset.. then imagine intels toolset add that to hirens .. and be afraid... very

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm scared s---less about his postings to you but not sure about what.

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

And me... I've asked him to re-elaborate because I can't make out what he's saying.

"hirens ... boot ... cd i run NO NETWORK.. no wireless.. no router... I HAVE TRIED THAT.. both wired and wireless. ALL passwords can be bypassed ... I can even do it.. so its odd that you dont think its possible.

i can do it with 100mb in files... or less.

the crack for any windows passwords is only 400kb then imagine dells toolset.. then imagine intels toolset add that to hirens .. and be afraid... very"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...