We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Need to Help A Friend NetBIOS over TCP/IP Attacks

RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Hi all

Wondering if you can shed light on this one one of my Friends is having on off problems with his computer It's an Alien Ware By Dell and his O/S is Windows 7 64bit he's had this problem for a couple of years.

It's become apparent he's a victim of a NetBios attack TCP/IP Where some random person is scanning ip and ports in order to connect to his computer.

He seems to think that this random person is using Herins Boot CD on his computer.

He's using a Cable Modem Connection and has tried a few routers to combat this problem but he says these attacks keep happening.

I for one looked up about this attack and it doesn't work with Windows 7 Or Does it? He's trying so hard to get rid of this and has frequently re-installed his O/S but the issue keeps coming back.

I'm not sure of the Security Setup he has.

I've googled on how to block this from happening and I've come up with this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313314

http://marjanrepic.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/disable-netbios-over-tcpip-in-windows-7-ent/

So how do I help him further and am I on the right lines in order to help him solve the problem?

Thanks

Rob

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I totally agree with Secret-Squirrel

I was about to post in a similar vein especially after having read the thread on dell forum

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Yeah that's me I'm trying to get as much opinions as possible from different sites.

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Hiya Secret Squirrel

Really I must thank you for assisting me on this saga I do know Computers myself but sometimes I need to discuss problems like this it's confusing as to help him along. It's important to get different opinions from other sources because others may have other ideas.

you are right he's not been hacked at all he's just been Paranoid in respects.

This has something to do with Drive Permissions We know that in the security section of the images on this thread it's not "hard drives" it's other user accounts of some sort.

I'm wondering as I thought if he could log into the Administrator Account on that computer to change the permissions in someway?

So as you said he need's to a restore or reformat using the Recovery Media by Dell.

In his email he said this from this morning

"cant get windows reloaded as they fried and firmware jacked the A. bios B. Dvd drive the dvd drive is only in legacy mode not uefi.. yet im in uefi. and booting from the dvd sends it to a network drive.. and if one doesnt exist.. it partitions 100mb to make for "fake windows" its like just a shell of 2000 edition .. not even xp or win7 cant repair.. restore .. nothing"

sadly this erases any future ability to make recovery possible .. not JUST of the old data but of making even recovery points.. as dell drives for the alienware aurora series has 4 partitions ..2 for alienware dell stuff and 2 for windows.. all only a total of 200mb to 1gb depending one is only 27mb .. uefi is a bit larger"

but after that.. even dell will tell you.. you can never get RESPAWN (recovery for alienware) to run so windows recovery discs.... backup .. all these things.. WONT WORK.

so in summary the last thing in the email you sent is really what i did.. only i couldnt use windows itself to do it and respawn will never work again.. ever.. as i cant make a partition with the stuff that came from dell, unless there are pros that do.. dell even said im screwed.

So how can go about getting to restore is System?

To add to this as well he claimed he spoke with Dell Support on this matter for some hours to try and solve the problem but they couldn't help however - he provided me with his service tag - And up on expecting his service tag he only brought this system on the 11/07/2012 He has Next Day Business Day Support, XPS Technical Support and Complete Care 11/08/2013.

So why can't Dell sort this?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"So why can't Dell sort this?"

Because with the Tech Support he has received so far, Dell have established it's not a hardware problem

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Well Dell should still be able to sort this out surely?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

AFAIK Next Day Business Day Support, XPS Technical Support and Complete Care does not cover Software messups, viruses and malware, someone messing with a partition manager, hijacks, etc etc. The standard instructions in that case are to re-install. Full instructions (with screenshot pictures) on Dell website.

How to install Windows 7 in an Alienware Computer

With all due respect, I think the best way to help him is to go round and re-install it for him - or at least teach him how to do it, then make an Image using something like Acronis so that next time it will only take you about half an hour to fix it for him. You can usually get a free Acronis type program from a Hard drive manufacturers website.

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Thanks for the link I'm not able to go round to his place because he lives in the States so it's a bit of a problematic situation!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

This is the us/en Dell page How to install Windows 7 in an Alienware Computer tell him to note: "By performing a Manual Reinstall, you will no longer be able to do a PC Restore or Restore to Factory Settings using AlienRespawn"

So that is the reason for making an image using Acronis type program - it will replace 'Respawn' image which he has now lost. He will be able to store the image file on an external harddrive and then boot from the Acronis CD to restore back to when image was made.

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Cheers for the that....

I'm also going to ask him more about his current state of the Computer at present i.e can he Post, Bios, Windows asking for screenshots and any errors ect.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Hmmm.... best of luck with that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded