We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is Free Avast Antivirus Software discontinued?

K*B

Likes # 0

Friends, has the Free version of Avast Antivirus software been withdrawn? If so what could be other good alternatives? I've been using the free version of Avast until today when I have been required to pay for it. Surprise, surprise!! My laptop is now unprotected; I need a good and free AV s/ware to install urgently. Please help. OS is Vista Home Basic. Thanks in advance.

Like this post
K*B

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/. Check your post on March 27 above. Yes I used the Avast removal tool (aswclear.exe) and re-installed Avast Free. I did not run the registry tool in CCleaner as you had advised above. I guess it's because I dont feel comfortable with handling stuff in the registry. After removing Avast using the removal tool, I checked in ADD/REMOVE in Control Panel and was sure Avast had been removed. I re-installed Avast Free and my laptop enjoyed protection for a while. Yesterday the laptop failed to atartup. I run startup Repair which did a system restore to an earlier checkpoint. It was fixed, but then I almost immediately had the same prompting by Pro Avast again to renew my subscription because it had expired. Meanwhile Avast Free stopped uodating itself with new virus definitions. Now my challenge is how to run the registry tool in CCleaner. It seems I have no choice but to invade the registry! How do I do this without "burning my fingers"? In fact I now remember that the Pro Avast renewal message started coming to my laptop only after I had done a systems resore, each time. What has System Restore got to do with Avast? Please help. Thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. Don't worry about CCleaner's registry cleaner it is very safe (I never even bother backing up) have used it for years with no problems its the only registry cleaner I would recommend.

1. When you download Avast you can select just the free version, when you install it do not forget to untick the trial of Avast pro.

2. You do need to register Avast it is free and last for a year, make sure you select Base Protection.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Here is a quick explanation of CCleaner's features.

Cleaner

Using the Cleaner window (the default window when you launch CCleaner), you'll notice several checked boxes that indicate which areas of your computer will be cleaned. Most of the boxes are checked by default, so pay close attention if you only want to scrub certain areas. Tabs at the top offer the ability to clean Windows areas and other applications. Switching between the two tabs allows you to make your choices for a customized cleaning.

When you're done with your settings, click the Analyze button on the lower left to see which items will be cleaned. You'll see every file CCleaner will delete and also exactly how much memory will be returned to your system after the cleaning.

Note: It pays to peruse this list before hitting the Run Cleaner button to make sure you're not deleting something important. When you're ready, hit Run Cleaner and watch CCleaner go to work.

Registry

Click the Registry button on the left side of the interface to bring up another set of checked boxes. This set of tasks does everything from eliminating unused file extensions to trashing obsolete software. Uncheck the boxes you don't want to scan and click the Scan for Issues button. At the end of the scan you'll be given the option to click the Fix Selected Issues button. Recommend tick all except Run at start up.

Note: It is highly recommend you save your current Registry configuration at the prompt in case of a malfunction later. An additional window will ask if you wish to fix specific items. If you know of a specific item in the list that is not a problem, simply tell CCleaner not to fix it by unticking the box. Remember, if you save your configuration beforehand a mistake here is easily reversible.

Tools

Uninstall - Windows comes with its own Add or Remove Programs utility, but it's often slow to load and not the easiest Control Panel item to configure. CCleaner quickly lists all of your active programs, and lets you highlight and uninstall software you no longer want. This part of the program utilizes tools already included in Windows, but the convenience and speed for quick uninstallations is tough to beat.

Startup manager - To manage your start-up programs, click the Startup button under the Uninstall button in the upper left of the interface. You'll see a list of active start-up items that launch when you boot up your system. Be very careful here: some items are not immediately identifiable and you wouldn't want to shut down your firewall, antivirus program, or any other important program.

System Restore - This will show you all the restore points on your machine (they can take up a lot of space), the latest one is greyed out so you cannot remove it . To remove any or all of the others just highlight the restore point listed and click on the Remove button.

Drive Wiper - Here you have the option to "erase" an entire drive or just the freespace on a drive. What happens is CCleaner overwrites the drive / space with zeros making the data unrecoverable. In the security box you have the option to select how many time CCleaner will write over the space / drive, 1 is sufficient for normal use, 3 will stop data recovery programs from finding anything, 7 is secure from anyone expect CSI and 35 is just paranoid.

Note the bigger the drive / larger number of passes the longer it will take.

Options

Settings - Allows you to set language and other options. Run at startup will wipe your temp files and user history eveytime you log on.

Cookies - Lists cookies to be deleted if you want to keep certain cookies because they hold log in details for your favourte sites then just highlight the cookie and click the right arrow key to move into the right hand column.

Include - Allows you to add folders, that are not in CCleaners default list, that you need deleteing everytime CCleaner runs.

Exclude - Allows you to add folders that may be in the default list that you do not want CCleaner to remove.

Advanced - Lets you select / deselect options advanced users may decide to untick things like warning messages and backup prompts.

Once you've run through the entire cleaning process, don't be surprised if your computer runs a bit faster.

Depending on the capacity of your hard drive, you'll also free up a shocking amount of space if you haven't run a program like CCleaner recently.

Like this post
K*B

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\, I'll have a go at it and let you know what happens.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Forget Ccleaner. You must go to safe mode to remove Avast. Otherwise it won't be fully removed. Did you use the uninstall utility in safe mode?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...