We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is Free Avast Antivirus Software discontinued?

K*B

Likes # 0

Friends, has the Free version of Avast Antivirus software been withdrawn? If so what could be other good alternatives? I've been using the free version of Avast until today when I have been required to pay for it. Surprise, surprise!! My laptop is now unprotected; I need a good and free AV s/ware to install urgently. Please help. OS is Vista Home Basic. Thanks in advance.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Still free as far as I know Have a look here http://www.filehippo.com/downloadavastantivirus/

Like this post
alB*

Likes # 0

K*B, Avast still do a free version, you can download it from FileHippo Avast Free

...alB

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Sorry about link..

Go to www.filehippo.com and look at the Anti Virus programs.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

I'm still using the free version

There was a notification, just a few days ago, to say there was an updated version available. I am just wondering if the OP happened to click on Upgrade rather than just update the free version.

I don't find it very clear when these notifications appear and really have to read carefully before clicking. I think it would be very easy to have clicked on the wrong bit and end up having selected to upgrade to the paid-for version.

Just my humble opinion ;)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

AroundAgain I agree, OP must have clicked on wrong one, I have Avast 8 free version, done in last couple of weeks.

K*B suggest you uninstall it and either get the free one or change to AVG free.

Like this post
K*B

Likes # 0

Thanks friends. I have uninstalled the upgrade and re-installed the Avast Free version and so I'm fine now with my laptop protected! What I have to learn now is how to handle those irritating alerts to upgrade or update. What's the difference between ugrade and update and which one must I choose in order to remain protected by Avast Free version? Thanks in advance.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

I would suggest you just "update" to be sure OR do nothing. You will soon get another prompt when it comes to updating the virus definitions.

Like this post
K*B

Likes # 0

Thanks friends. Iscanut2, the reinstalled avast! Free Antivirus on my laptop worked fine for a few days until yesterday. What happened: the voice announcement of update stopped suddenly and I started getting prompts to renew avast! Pro Antivirus which had expired. That was strange because I never installed avast! Pro Antivirus on my laptop. In fact that's what had happened the time that I asked for help on this forum. Another strange thing is that the icon on the desktop reads "avast! Free Antivirus" and in Control panel the installed software is "avast! Free Antivirus". I have just finished uninstalling and reinstalling avast! Free Antivirus on the laptop again. I keep wonderin why this is happening. Could it be that my laptop is being manipulated from AVAST online?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No

I think its because you haven't got rid of the trial Pro Avast properly before reinstalling the free version.

Use the Avast removal tool

Run the registry tool in CCleaner

reboot the machine

Run the registry cleaner again

Install Avast free

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Pro is the free version

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...