We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sharing 2 different laptop problems - Part 2

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

My wife's laptop (W7, Avira, Windows firewall) is kept up to date with all updates. It has a 500 gig HD partitioned 100 for systems, balance for data. I regularly back up the data, and occasionally do an ATI image or clone. This has slipped recently, so having done a virus check and a SAS scan and defrag I decided to do a ATI clone to a USB HD. At first the process seemed to go through far too quicly - a message saying complete came up in a couple of minutes. A second attempt seemed to go well (1 hour 20 mins) at the end when 100% complete, a message came up : not complete, Drive D not found. (USB was drive D). I had to stop the laptop. When I restarted a message came up along the lines of fatal error, attempting repair. A revert to a restore point of a few days ago was offered. It seemed ok. I then installed the NS updates of last week. On the restart a further crash occurred. Then a blue screen with all sorts of crash dump warnings appeared. I would seem in some way the registry is in trouble. A friend is helping (who thinks it is an update issue)but I would appreciate suggestions.I am convinced it is to do with the failure of the ATI clone.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

had to stop the laptop.

How? I assume it was hold down power button to force shutdown?

Sounds like its corrupted the windows system files and registry but the restore should have cured it.

If crashing after updates then I'm inclined to agree its and update causing the problem.

restore again then install updates one at a time until you find the culprit.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

*"had to stop the laptop. How? I assume it was hold down power button to force shutdown?"*

Correct.

I will attempt a revert to the pre update. However the trouble is the blue screen with the crash dump info comes up. Will keep trying. The funny thing is the updates caused no problems on my desktop or grand daughters laptop with same updates and systems.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Have you tied Tapping F8 at start - Advanced tools menu - system Restore?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

Thanks will try that tomorrow as PC is at a friends house. The blue screen came up pretty quick...

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

PS It does, however, seem odd this all started with the failed clone attempt.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Now tried tapping F8 and system restore. No joy; blue screen warning "have you installed new hardware" (Haven't)" Crash dump, contact administrator"

It looks like a reinstall job. Luckily I do not keep vital stuff on the laptop and music is in icloud.

I think the registry is in trouble, whether due to the attempted clone or updates.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Try startup repair from the F8 menu, may take a few attempts

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Tried that, still no joy, get the same blue "Crash dump" warning. Luckily it is not my main workhorse, so will do a repair or clean install. Wish I could trace the culprit, I still suspect the failed clone. The warning was strange : Cannot locate D - weird as my laptop has C (OS, System, Programmes) and F (Data). D is a hidden recovery partition, and the USB was a Iomega 500 gig HD that ACI asked if it could overwrite a previous clone.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen