We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

moving wireless modem router position

pookie

Likes # 0

Hi,

Windows 7 home edition sp1. I have a BT Infinity broadband package. My BT fibre optic modem and BT wireless router (Homehub3)are plugged into the master telephone socket downstairs. The engineer fitted a new master socket faceplate at the time which he said removes the need for micro filters out of all telephone sockets in the house. My question is this. I am having a new electric socket put in my bedroom where there is already a telephone socket (which has the older style faceplate). I am thinking of moving the modem and wireless router upstairs to my bedroom as the living room is a mess with various cables. Will the broadband speed by affected by moving it from the master socket to the bedroom socket? Will I have to put a micro filter in the telephone socket in the bedroom?

I use homeplugs to connect to desktop for internet and all other devices connect via wifi.

Thank you

P

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

BT fibre optic modem because its fibre optic it needs to connect to the fibre optic in the master socket

Will the broadband speed by affected by moving it from the master socket to the bedroom socket? Yes because you will then be connecting by copper wire to the telephone socket.

Router is connected by cat5 cable to modem this is the start of the "slow down"

However all your other devices are limited by the speed of your home plugs or wireless connection.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I have a BT Home Hub (Not Infinity) which has been connected to a bedroom socket for the past 4 years and there has never been a problem. If the BT engineer told you the new master faceplate removes the need for micro filters out of all telephone sockets in the house then there is your answer - no you don't/shouldn't have to have a separate micro filter.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat - Am I not right in thinking that the fibre optic only goes to the BT Cabinet and the final few hundred metres to the consumer - ie: It's basically fiber to the node, usually located within 1000ft of your house, which uses DSL technology from the node to your house. Would it not be possible to use the bedroom socket in that case?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes if there is no fibre to the house then it doesn't really matter what socket its used in.

However BT do state they need to connect it to the master socket. enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat - Thanks for that.

Pookie - Only one way to find out - try it and see would be my advice.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

The master socket has a built-in filter. This means that all extension sockets in the house are wired to the 'phone' side of that filter, so can not receive broadband - that's the whole point of the filter!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Scroll down to 'installing an ADSL faceplate' here

Like this post
pookie

Likes # 0

Thank you all for the replies.

I don't have the new electrical socket in the bedroom yet but I connected the modem/router in there using extention cable and using the telephone socket already in the bedroom.

Running tests on speedtest.net, and with or without a micro filter in the bedroom telephone socket, I didn't notice a difference to the speed from when directly plugged into the master telephone socket downstairs.

I hope this helps.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Glad it worked for you.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

"using the telephone socket already in the bedroom"

Having looked at my setup at home and this pic I can't fathom what you have got plugged into where. Please can you say how you can you plug into an ordinary telephone socket extension?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...