We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Share Internet through two pc using switch

tamimaddari

Likes # 0

Share Internet through two pc using switch

I have a desktop with windows 7 and ubuntu 12.04 and a laptop with same ubuntu. My desktop is connected to wired network through ethernet cable through a switch. Is it possible to connect and share The internet of my desktop with my laptop? can I use the switch any way, because 5 ports of the switch is still free.
Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"I have a desktop with windows 7 and ubuntu 12.04 and a laptop with same ubuntu. My desktop is connected to wired network through ethernet cable through a switch. Is it possible to connect and share The internet of my desktop with my laptop? can I use the switch any way, because 5 ports of the switch is still free."

What does the "wired network" that the switch is connected to consist of? There has to be a router in the circuit in order to "route" the internet traffic to the appropriate IP address in the network.

The alternative is to run Internet Connection Sharing in your Windows 7 PC but this does require two network adapters in the PC - one to connect to the internet with the connection "shared" and a second to connect to the Laptop.

Like this post
tamimaddari

Likes # 0

My ISP uses Point to Point Protocol. And The wire from them is connected in the switch which has 8 ports. Then from there two connection is given., One to my desktop and another to my neighbours PC. They used ethernet CAT5 cables. I tried to connect the lapotop connecting into the switch to use my desktops Internet.. But As they use PPP I cant figure the IP address and the gateway of my Desktop to share the internet from It. The process is more difficult as my laptop has UBUNTU 12.04. Is there any direct way to connect? Like USB_USB connection?

Like this post
tamimaddari

Likes # 0

Cant I Use My desktop as router?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"Cant I Use My desktop as router?"

Yes, that's exactly what Internet Connection Sharing is. The PC in which it is enabled acts a router to the client computers connected to it. However, you do require to have two network adapters installed in the "host" PC.

I can't help with the Linux aspects.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more