We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

unusual alert for USB problem

vs6gyrob

Likes # 0

After installing a second user motherboard ( Foxconn ) I first of all could not access the internet due to no ethernet driver , eventually overcame that problem by inserting an ethernet controller pci board.!! On several occasions I then got a 'pop-up' " power surge on hubport".? After investigating thru' device manager usb;s reported ' all usb ports working correctly' ???? Any ideas please !

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

enter link description here

Take a look at this link

Like this post
vs6gyrob

Likes # 0

Hi northumbria61, many thanks for the reply and for the useful info re my query.. Yes I notice that when I plugged my printer in I seemed to get the 'warning' It seems any usb device (which this is) caused the 'alert; ?? At least your info gives me something to work , and is much appreciated Once more, my thanks

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Possible cause?? If you plug any device into a USB2 port and it takes more than 0.5 Amps then the port usually closes down. Go into Device Manager and delete the whole USB tree and reboot. It should reinstall the USB drivers. Then try inserting each of your USB devices in turn to see which one causes the problem . A powered USB hub usually solves the problem

Like this post
vs6gyrob

Likes # 0

Hello alanrwood, and thank you for your helpful comments. Must admit never thought about deleting the whole of my usb's. Since with this Motherboard I had to try out the Epson printer I was in fact only using the one usb port. and just could not understand the 'Power surge' bit especially when in Device manager things , on examination, seemed normal However many thanks , every bit of 'know how' helps cheers !!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I would say that you are having problems because you did not install all the chipset drivers for your motherboard as that would have sorted your Ethernet problem and I suspect your USB difficulties.

Like this post
vs6gyrob

Likes # 0

Hi chromos the 2nd, thanks for your contribution, in fact thank you all,nothumbria61, and alanrwood.. The link supplied , gave me the first idea, then the comments re chipset drivers, so really I did'nt get as far as deleting anything, alanr, After much clicking and hair tearing, I think the problem has gone (ssh) right clicking on START>PROPERTIES> TASKBAR>HIDE INACTIVE ICONS>CUSTOMIZE> and there in the list was the culprit.!SCROLL DOWN>then apply the HIDE treatment;> APPLY.. The usb sign webt into the task bar and continued flashing ??? (nearly reached for the 'lump hammer), Switched off the PC , started up again , and and and, waited an age , but the 'thing' had GONE !! So, that's it chaps, many many thanks to you all. Cheers

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Glad it has been sorted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite