We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help

alanstan

Likes # 0

I have lost my user name and password for Windows Mail, I have used windows for years and have never been asked for either, now all of a sudden I cannot access my email without these, any ideas???

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Did you use an alternative email when you set up your account? That's usually the way to reset.

Like this post
alanstan

Likes # 0

It has been so long since I set it up I cannot remember, I do have a user name and password wrote down but neither of them work, I thought my user name would be my email address?? I thought there may be somewhere I could ask within windows by asking other security questions.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

That's the point of a password, so its secure and know one will know it

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

SIW portable is Free program http://download.cnet.com/SIW-Portable/3000-2094_4-12306386.html

once you've installed it, look under 'Passwords'

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It is possible that this isn't a problem at your end but that the email server is down. This then usually leads to email password prompts. Can you access your email by webmail?

This problem usually corrects itself in a short while.

Like this post
alanstan

Likes # 0

i have managed to access my emails by turning off the power on my modem for 5 minutes and turning it back on but I still have no idea how I can retrieve my user name/password.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You probably don't need to access it for now. But you should know your password. Your username can be found in the email account settings and may well be your email address. SIW may find your password.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Are people still using Help as a subject for discussion?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

" but I still have no idea how I can retrieve my user name/password"

See my post at 7:24PM. You could also use the Eureka! tool. In SIW click on the Magnifying Glass to open the tool then open Windows Mail, Accounts and properties for your email account, go to the tab where it has your username and password. The password will be a row of large dots, drag the magnifying glass over the row of dots and the password will be shown in Eureka! in the bottom text line box.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I note you had same problem in July 2010 and again in Oct 2011 and we gave about the same advice then. Did/are you having problems using SIW to find your Virgin email username and password? (I presume you are still using Virgin email)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......