We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Firefox wont open some site pages

MuDelta
Resolved

Likes # 0

On my family (second) computer I cannot open some pages within a site eg My Posts in PCA and others elsewhere but there is no problem with other machines - this one for example. Clearly, it has something to do with the machine (runs XP). the machine I am writing this on has W 7. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox (19.02) & updated plug-ins, all to no effect. Help!!

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Blocked sites... If it was the other way around it might be significant but no blocked sites should increase the chance of it working. In theory.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

In i.e try Internet options>advanced then scroll down to the bottom and if SSL2.0 is ticked switch to SSL3.0 and try it (and vice versa).

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Are you using a HOSTS file? Have a look at your HOSTS file. The HOSTS file is located in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc Right click then view it using notepad See if any of the blocked sites are mentioned?

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

If so here's how to reset your HOSTS file back to default.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034 Also try clearing the DNS cache by going to start/run and enter ipconfig /flushdns

Like this post
MuDelta

Likes # 0

Bris Thanks for al your advice. Sadly, nothing changed!

D

Like this post
MuDelta

Likes # 0

hiwatt

Nothing found in HOSTS. Cleared dns cache with no change!! Oh gawd!

D

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

A very long shot, but I wonder if this as anything to do with cookies, or registration, if the problem is with only a few websites. it could be the particular case, that the particular computer as been set up to refuse and block cookies (apologies if this as already been suggested)?.

Like this post
MuDelta

Likes # 0

Spuds & all who contributed.

It is solved!! My firewall is P C Tools' free version. Under Filtering I set "package filtering enabled" to off and it all worked!! The bad(?) news is that the P C T icon on the task-bar now has a yellow warning triangle on it. How concerned should I be about this? Comments please and then I can finally mark the problem as solved.

D

Like this post
newbestgadget

Likes # 0

Clear the cache and history every time. I think it help sometimes.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Packet filtering is a fundamental function of a software firewall, disabling it will reduce the effectiveness of the firewall.

You can alter the rules PF uses but this is not easy unless you have some familiarity with the concepts.

click here

see the section on packet filtering.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...