We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Packard Bell Easy Note LM51 WiFi and webcam not working

claluc

Likes # 0

I have been given an unused PB Easynote LM51 running Win7 Home Edition, everything is fine except for the wifi whose status light is constantly lit orange, pressing the on/off key has no effect. The automatic updates keep finding an update related to the network adapter but installation fails. The laptop connects properly to the weh using a hard wired connection to router. The second issue, unrelated and less important is that the integrated webcam doesn't work, it's detected through device manager and status report is that it's working fine, also detected by msn and others, microphone works ok but there is noo camera picture. Thanks for any help.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Sure it's not LM81, as their website doesn't list a 51. If so, choose 64 or 32 bit drivers from here

Like this post
claluc

Likes # 0

Sorry my typo, it's 81 indeed. I have been on the website but it lists drivers for 3 different types of network adapter, how do I find out which one is installed in mine? System/Hardware/Properties lists Adapter but not a model. Could the fact that the system auto updates finds a driver for it but don't install be due to the fact that for some reason it's lost its ID and the system does not recognise it therefore does not install drivers?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Try the free (old version) of SIW from here. If that doesn't help, try the free Slimdrivers from here. Take care to untick any boxes that download other junk. Slimdrivers will scan your laptop and point to driver updates. I don't recommend updating everything it says you should, but it can help in situations such as yours to find specific drivers - go for those from the manufactures sites where possible.

Like this post
claluc

Likes # 0

Thanks, I will give it a try tonight and let you know

Like this post
claluc

Likes # 0

Have been looking around the web for possible solutions and instructions on how to replace wlan mini card should this be required, have come across a complete maintenance manual which is very detailed with photos and step-by-step instructions and whist reading something clicked in my mind, in fact this could also relate to the webcam issue.... the laptop went into a lab for a warranty issue with previous owner (my mother), and from the moment it came back she tells me that webcam actually never worked and orange wifi light was on.... reading the manual I see that the wlan antenna is located in the lcd beazel together with the webcam, so maybe a long shot but quite possible that rather than a driver issue this may simply be a hardware issue due to poor workmanship, may be something left disconnected? I have quite some experience working around desktops harware, never touched a laptop beut with detailed instructions like the ones I found I am tempted to give it a go, warranty has expired in the meantime anyway.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

First, right click My Computer, click Properties, then Device Manager and see if there are any yellow exclam marks.

Replacing the WLAN card is easy, but they are very reliable. True the antenna(s) is/are in the bezel. Unlikely to be any prob there, but the tiny coax connectors to the card could be detached. You should be able to see by taking the odd panel off the base.

Like this post
claluc

Likes # 0

Think I may save myself a lot of dissassembly work, tere is indeed a yellow mark next to the wlan card symbol, details read - device unknown - no drivers, everythings seems to be unknown...am about to try the first method you suggested.

Like this post
claluc

Likes # 0

Sorted, It was a driver issue after all, webcam is definitely gone but not too bothered about that, thanks for your help! :-)

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks for the feedback

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014