We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

When do you throw out a HDD?

Electronic_Eric

Likes # 0

At what point do you throw a HDD out? I have a few lying around and can't decide on whether i should throw them in the bin or keep them around.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Depends on what's on them and size. I never chuck out any until I have applied lump hammer/drilled through to break the shiny disc inside to make them unusable/unreadable (even the clunky ones that have mechanical fault) Obviously I protect against flying bits :)

Like this post
Electronic_Eric

Likes # 0

Obviously, if a HDD is thrown away, any wanted data is copied over to something else first.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I never chuck out any until I have applied lump hammer/drilled through to break the shiny disc inside to make them unusable/unreadable (even the clunky ones that have mechanical fault) Obviously I protect against flying bits :)

Why not just unscrew the cover plate and remove the insides? No flying bits. Or you could just overwrite it a few times.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

At what point, would be when you decide, depending on possible space limitations or requirements. Perhaps the Nigerian 419 scammer's might have good use for them, or some third world recycling enterprise. Not much value here in the UK, with the price drops on new HDD's?.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Obviously, if a HDD is thrown away, any wanted data is copied over to something else first.

But, even if everything is then deleted from old HDD, the information is still easily accessible!

Hence, as others have said - physical destruction is best policy!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Chronos, yes I unscrew if possible, but some I've had I couldn't do that no matter how I tried. Had to wedge an old chisel in and belt it until metal casing parted company.

Nontek, Spot on, don't like the idea that it's possible for someone to 'have a looksee' and recover any data. Bit like shredding or burning old papers and bank statements.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Never throw away - stick them into a case and use as an External Back-up Drive

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Physical Destruction: Hitting with a hammer is, potentially, very dangerous to yourself from flying shards of disk.

The best way that I have heard, is to crush it in a vice. If you don't have one, every small Garage does.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Going on destruction, I once witnessed a large quantity of 'dodgy' goods, including computer drives and parts, go through the 'JCB' treatment, then dropped into a furnace. That should have destroyed any evidence?.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Quite often there are students looking for dead HDD's for some art project from another forum I am a member of. Have a look here,I chose this thread as the guy posted a couple of images. Dead HDD Art. I had only one for this guy but if memory serves I had three for another.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone Air release date rumours, specs, leaked photos: 5.5in iPhone 6 expected

IDG UK Sites

Alternatives to iPad Air: iPad Air vs best tablets from Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google & more

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance