We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mysterious Disappearance of Wordpad

mcheathen

Likes # 0

Some while ago Wordpad disappeared for no apparent reason and I've been unable to re-install it.

Yes I've tried using 'Add and remove Windows Components', but it does not appear with Accessories. Nor does appear in Accessories when I look inside the XP Home Edition install disk. Nor does it appear when I do a search on the C:\ drive.

What does appear however when I do a search on the XP install disk are: WORDPAD.CH_ WORDPAD.EX_ WORDPAD.HL_ WORDPAD.IL_ - and this is all found in the D:\I386.

So is there any way I can bring WP back?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

In XP it is in "C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe"

Try going to Start, Run, and type wordpad.exe and press OK and see if it opens.

and/or you could do a system file check, by typing in Run box, sfc /scannow (note there is a space between c and /) and have your XP install disk handy as it will ask for it if needed.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Use this to expand Windows XP files from the installation disk.

Save file in: C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe

Like this post
mcheathen

Likes # 0

I've look in Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories and the folder is empty. Yes I tried putting wordpad.exe into run, but a window appeared saying that the file did not exist.

I'll now try the other things that were suggested.

Like this post
mcheathen

Likes # 0

I typed sfc /scannow into the run box and it asked for XP windows profession SErvice Pack 3. which it says is 3 CDs.

I already have service pack 3 installed and I use XP Home and it was installed from one disk which was in the D:.

Like this post
mcheathen

Likes # 0

@Chronos the 2nd - I can't expand the wordpad files in folder D:\I386 because only files ending .CAD are shownwhen I browse the folder.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Not sure what you've done previously, but I found a fix that will put Wordpad into Control Panel, Add/Remove and hopefully fix it for you to install from there.

As we already know: WordPad by default is missing under, "Control Panel" -> "Add or Remove Programs" | "Add/Remove Windows Components" | "Accessories and Utilities" | "Accessories".

Click on 'My Computer' to open Windows Explorer and in address bar copy and paste:

C:\WINDOWS\inf\sysoc.inf

and press Enter

and edit the sysoc.inf file (.inf files open in Notepad) and delete the word "HIDE" while leaving the extra comma undeleted, from this line:

MSWordPad=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wordpad.inf,HIDE,7

The line now reads: MSWordPad=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wordpad.inf,,7

Save and close the file.

WordPad will now be listed in "Add or Remove Programs" in Control Panel, "Add/Remove Windows Components" -> "Accessories and Utilities" -> "Accessories".

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

have clicked o start and in the right column there is a search button, click on it and type in the program your looking for and see if it lists it. If it does you cold create a shortcut.

Like this post
mcheathen

Likes # 0

@lotvic Well done - I found it in the Accessories folder. The only thing I need to know how is it can appear in 'Start' 'All Programs' 'Accessories'.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Did you try putting a tick in the box next to it (in Add/Remove, ..... Accessories, Details, where it is now listed) and then clicking on 'OK' and 'OK' etc ? It should tell you if you need to put xp cd in. I'm thinking that will reinstall it to the folder in 'Start' 'All Programs' 'Accessories'

or it might now be installed in "C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe" and from there you can rightclick on wordpad.exe and create a shortcut and copy or drag the shortcut to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories

Maybe you should check to see if it has already appeared in the above, or reboot your pc and see if then appears.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...