We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What or where is a computer's identity?

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

My grand daughter's Toshiba L655 - 17U laptop is one of four PC's authorised on our iTunes account. The hinges etc including base and lid are broken and I have bought a similar, second hand, machine with a lower spec re processor and RAM. I will clone her HD as a precaution, and my local repair man will transfer her motherboard , processor ( a 5i)and her HD and RAM to the other machine so we will end up with some spares such as a screen, HD motherboard etc. My question is - will iTunes recognise the computer as the original - does the "soul" (including MS activation)reside in the motherboard etc?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As you're transferring the motherboard I can't see a problem other than possibly having to activate by phone . OEMs are tied to the motherboards. This link might help.

Like this post  
mgmcc

Likes # 0

As the Laptop is broken, it won't be able to access iTunes to "De-authorise this computer".

However, by going into your iTunes account with another of your four authorised computers, you can "Deauthorise All" and then authorise the ones you want again, including the replacement Laptop. It doesn't need to be seen as an exact replica of the original.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Don't use iTunes but all that's being done is replacing the laptop's 'casing', in effect it's the same machine.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

If the Mother board, hard drive, RAM and OS have not been changed and you have not reinstalled windows you should have no problems logging onto iTunes.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks, all. In effect it is indeed the casing being replaced so all should be well. I will try to transfer the serial no sticker.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Posted 1 minute ago

Thanks, all. In effect it is indeed the casing being replaced so all should be well. I will try to transfer the serial no sticker.

This may be a double post in error

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......