We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Proxy Server is not responding

RISC OS user
Resolved

Likes # 0

Yesterday at 16.40 I installed Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems. with an installation status of Successful. I also installed

Platform Update for Windows 7 x64-Edition (KB2670838) not sure what it is for!

I then re-started the PC and all appeared OK my usual Firefox browser was functioning as normal, and IE did appear to be ok, not that I use it much, just do not like it! I understand that it cannot be removed as some programmes need it.

I also run Safari which is started at Boot up.

This morning I was unable to access the net via any of these 3 browsers, from IE I got "Proxy Server is not responding", similar from Safari, and Firefox, but did get a message about the proxy server,from Firefox so had a look via Tools, Options, Advanced,Network, Connection - settings, "Use system proxy settings" was selected (is this usual?) and changed it to "Auto detect proxy settings for this Network".

I have never changed these setting before just gone along with the default as set when firefox is installed.

Firefox is now functioning correctly as far as I can tell, but not IE or Safari, I am unable to find a way to get them to work. Thunderbird did not appear to be affected by this problem.

So how do I over come the problems, and should I be worried that someone has entered my PC some how and changed the proxy for some reason.

My wife has a PC on the same LAN and is not experiencing the problems, She had NOT updated her machine as I did yesterday.

We are both running Windows 7 Home Premium. ZoneAlarm and Firewall on the Router the Wireless has the usual protection set on the router.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 1

I would suggest you either do a System Restore or remove the updates.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 1

There is an explanation here enter link description here

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 1

Try disabling proxy settings. I never use it. Sometimes this can be changed by malware.

Like this post
RISC OS user

Likes # 0

Thank you for your help, seems ok now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites