We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HDD/BIOS help!

potatological

Likes # 0

My bios isn't listing my hard drive as a bootable device. I have no idea what's wrong! When i start my computer up i get this message:

The current BIOS setting do not fully support the boot device. Click OK to enter the BIOS Setup. then in yellow text: Go to Advanced>Boot>CSM Parameters and adjust the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) settings to enable the boot device.

But not only do i have no idea how the hell to set those parameters, i'm completely unfamiliar with this Asus chipset motherboard and it's drivin me nuts!

Please anyone help me out? Took my computer to geeksquad and they told me i need to order a factory restore disk from Asus and i can't even call till monday to inquire about it! It's been a week of me trying to figure this out and i am literally

Thank you in advance for any help!

My computer model: Asus CM1745

Upgrades i have made: 520 WATT Dynex PSU model: DX-520wps HD Radeon 6870 GPU

Like this post
potatological

Likes # 0

No i do not have a windows 8 disk. I wasn't really ever trying to install windows or anything just wipe the registry so i could wipe the user and get into windows. I'm a little afraid of doing the CMOS thing, what do i do after doing that? What does that do exactly in layman's terms? The parameters are having to do with Legacy and UEFI and stuff not sure the exact parameters. Would you know which parameters i'd have to set in order to get the HDD booted?

Like this post
potatological

Likes # 0

No i do not have a windows 8 disk. I wasn't really ever trying to install windows or anything just wipe the registry so i could wipe the user and get into windows. I'm a little afraid of doing the CMOS thing, what do i do after doing that? What does that do exactly in layman's terms?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

The CMOS thing does nothing more than reset the BIOS to it's factory settings. But after resetting you will need to go into the BIOS and under Advanced then Sata configuration you will need to make sure that Sata mode is AHCI as opposed to IDE or Disabled. I have checked this under my own ASUS mobo EFI BIOS Utility.

I am really puzzled as to what you meant by wipe the registry? Can you explain further what you were intending to do? And if you were not trying to reinstall windows why did you want to change the boot order to DVD. Was this because you wanted to use recovery disks that you have made?

Like this post
potatological

Likes # 0

No i was using a registry wipe disk because i needed to wipe the user information because i forgot the password to the admin user.

I tried to remove the CMOS from the motherboard, and when i started up the computer it did prompt me to press F1 to begin a setup but when i pressed F1 it gave me the same error: "The current BIOS setting do not fully support the boot device. Click OK to enter the BIOS Setup. then in yellow text: Go to Advanced>Boot>CSM Parameters and adjust the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) settings to enable the boot device." BUT!! When the prompt showed up, it DID show me my hard drive information! It showed me what hard drive i had! So something is reading my hard drive!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I think you have changed the boot config in the BIOS. there will be a list on what BIOS looks at first as first boot devise. You could also try running on BIOS default settings

Like this post
potatological

Likes # 0

xD no the point is there are no bootable devices in the boot menu. The bios isn't listing anything to boot, yes i originally changed it to boot the DVD drive but now i don't know how to change it to boot the HDD

Like this post
potatological

Likes # 0

UPDATE: Bought a new Sata data cable from best buy for the hard drive, still no change.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Did you go into the Sata setting and change the Sata mode to AHCI.

If it at all possible when you are given advice to try could you actually post that you have tried it, that way we will have an idea of what else to suggest.

You mention tried to remove the CMOS from the motherboard, it is just a small battery so did you remove it or not?

Can you confirm that there is absolutely nothing listed in the Boot menu? though hopefully you have changed the Sata mode to AHCI before checking.

There are several different sections under the Boot heading so you might need to check more than one.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Chronus.. came across this which looks as if it could be relevant, in particular the last paragraph in section 2.

click here

There seems to be an issue with CSM, legacy mode, and changes to the BIOS. What do you think?

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

*"There are several different sections under the Boot heading so you might need to check more than one. Like this post"*

I had exactly the same problem on my new build, Asrock Fatal1ty P67 Pro motherboard. In one section I found my Sata drives listed, but these were not listed in the Boot Menu.

I eventually tracked the problem down to another area in UEFI where it was necessary to identify which drive I wanted to use as my boot drive.

Actually there where three folders from which to choose as your boot device. Sata drive, DVD drive and USB. However I think the Asrock UEFI setup utility is a little different to the Asrock.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014