We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't email a scanned document

butterball160

Likes # 0

I get an error message from Outlook Express every time that I try to send a scanned simple document. I have tried all of the suggestions on the Internet with no success. I have sent it as an attachment on my email and it still came up as an error. I have reduced the pixel size...no success. All of my other emails are fine...just sending these scanned items. I also tried everything from the operation manual for the scanner. No luck. Any other suggestions?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

First it is essential to establish that there is difference between an email client on your pc and Webmail. For the sake of keeping it simple for myself I'll only mention Outlook Express POP3 email and Webmail

email client (for you that means Outlook Express on XP) = a program on your pc that you can add any email address accounts to and you can collect and send emails for all of them. The emails are saved in the email client Outlook Express program on your pc's harddrive and you do not need to be connected to the internet to read emails you have previously received. You do need to be connected to the internet to send them.

Webmail = you need to be connected to the Internet and open your Browser (Internet Explorer or Firefox or whatever browser you use) then you need to put the URL of the email in the Address bar and press Enter to go to the page and log in with your username and password. You would need to to this for each separate email address as each would have it's own log in page (Yahoo mail, Gmail etc)

The emails you receive and send are not kept on your pc's hard drive, they are on the relevant Mail Server (Yahoo mail, Gmail etc) and you can only see them after you have logged in via your Browser.

Now please tell us how you presently collect and send your emails. Which of your present email addresses are you using as Webmail only and which email addresses have POP3 accounts in Outlook Express

If you do not know how to check the email Accounts in Outlook Express, please ask.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Spam ~ FE told

Like this post
butterball160

Likes # 0

The only email that I am using at this time is xxxx@hmcltd.net which is collected through Outlook Express. I have webmail addresses: gmail, yahoo and road runner, but I do not use them.

Like this post
butterball160

Likes # 0

I just checked the accounts on my Outlook Express and it lists both the hmcltd.net and pop-server.neo.rr.com as internet accounts.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

So ~ Assuming that you have a Windows PC, you don't need to spend any money on Outlook Express, it is already part of Windows.

If you have changed ISP's and wish to carry on using your old xxxx@hmcltd address, you will have to pay them, or tell everyone of your new address.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I just want to check something out.

Please look on the top bar of Outlook Express for 'Send/Receive' and click on the little down triangle/arrow next to it. What email accounts are listed?

Like this post
butterball160

Likes # 0

Both internet accounts are listed: hmcltd.net, and pop-server.neo.rr.com

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

okay, To avoid confusion:

Internet Account = ISP (Internet Service Provider to the world wide web) Your isp is Time Warner on cable.

Email Account = your email addresses, xxxx@hmcltd.net, xxxx@neo.rr.com, xxxx@yahoo.com, xxxx@gmail.com

Mail Servers = The server computers up in the internet that collect the emails that people send to you and then sends them to you when you click on 'Receive' in Outlook Express (POP3) OR shows Webmail email to you when you open your browser and login to Webmail for that email address.

Example: In Outlook Express POP3 RoadRunner email:

incoming mail server: pop-server.neo.rr.com (When you click on 'Receive' - Outlook Express goes here to get all the emails that people have sent to you)

outgoing mail server: smtp-server.neo.rr.com (When you click on Send - Outlook Express sends your emails here so they can be sent on to other servers for other people to collect emails from you)

In Outlook Express, Have you tested both of your POP3 Email addresses for sending and receiving and do they both work okay? (send a test email from xxxx@hmcltd.net to xxxx@neo.rr.com and then send another test email from xxxx@neo.rr.com to xxxx@hmcltd.net)

Like this post
butterball160

Likes # 0

Lotvic...I am back again with a problem. Everything on my "business" computer is working fine thanks to your help. I have a problem with Outlook Express on the household computer. I went to accounts and added the Time Warner Road Runner account. I deleted the hmcltd.net account which is my busniess email account used on my business computer. Now I cannot do anything on Outlook...I just get that little turp sound when things are not going to happen, even when I click on the X closing at the top. I tried to open it from my Programs in the Start menu, but still just the turp sound. Does that make sense to you?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

" Now I cannot do anything on Outlook...I just get that little turp sound when things are not going to happen, even when I click on the X closing at the top. I tried to open it from my Programs in the Start menu, but still just the turp sound. Does that make sense to you?"

No, even your sentence doesn't make sense to me.

You could try rebooting, Shut the pc down, wait 10 minutes and then switch it on again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer