We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't email a scanned document

butterball160

Likes # 0

I get an error message from Outlook Express every time that I try to send a scanned simple document. I have tried all of the suggestions on the Internet with no success. I have sent it as an attachment on my email and it still came up as an error. I have reduced the pixel size...no success. All of my other emails are fine...just sending these scanned items. I also tried everything from the operation manual for the scanner. No luck. Any other suggestions?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

When I said "What size is it?"

I meant: "How many Megabytes is it?"

Like this post
butterball160

Likes # 0

Lotvic: I sent a regular email from my computer to another computer in my house and it did not go, no error message, but it did not send it! So, there is my problem and I don't know how to fix it. We changed our service about 10 days ago from a phone company to Time Warner Cable. That may be where my problem arose. I looked for help on the internet and there seemed to be a lot about this problem of being able to receive emails but not to send them, but I couldn't find anything that worked. Not sure where to look.....I have to go to work now, so I will see if you have any ideas for me later. I think that when that problem is solved that I will be able to email the scans.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

My guess is that the Scans exceed the Size restriction of the e-mail provider, either individually, or as a group if that is the way they are being sent.

Your email Provider may easily have a 2MB Limit and if you are scanning at the highest definition it is quite possible for each scan to be 12MB in size.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

A google search for: time warner cable email using different smtp settings

Reveals that it is USA, RoadRunner email and time warner cable users have to be quite particular in configuring email account servers. Also as most of the info requires input for state etc it is difficult (well nigh impossible) for us here in UK to be of help to you.

Have you registered your email with Time Warner and done all the necessary for your change of ISP? or are you still trying to use your old ISP's email account settings?

Like this post
butterball160

Likes # 0

TO LOTVIC: I tried everything and I still got the error. So today I called my provider and the help guy went through everything, the info on the email account was correct, but it still would not send, so we changed the accounts, he put it into his control and nothing worked, so he said it was probably something with the computer. I set up an email account with Road Runner on the that computer, I sent an email to my other computer still running Outlook Express, added the attachment and clicked send. It went through and I received it on my other computer, opened the attachment and there was the scanned document! Go figure! I still don't know what the problem was. Thank you for all of your help. The only suggestion that I have for anyone experiencing this problem is to set up a different email account and try to send it that way. It worked for me.

Like this post
butterball160

Likes # 0

Hey, I didn't know there was a page 2! I kept looking for responses last night and today and didn't see these on page 2. I was still using Outlook Express, had not set up the Road Runner account with Time Warner yet. So when I was talking my old provider with the Outlook Express, they told me that they had not stopped the service yet as I had not told them to. And, that I had to get in touch with Time Warner to set up an email account before they cancelled my Outlook account. So, that is why I set up the Road Runner Account. But, I didn't like the Road Runner email page, so I kept it for the main computer, but told the Outlook people to keep me there (had to pay for it) but now I have 2 email providers. The main computer is just a household one, but the other computer is my business computer, it would be a real pain to have to change all of my email addresses. So, I decided to keep the Outlook. But, I also signed up on RR with a sub-account so I will start gradually adding everything to that account, too. Why don't they just have a way to send out a notification that you have changed your email to everyone in your address book? Or do they? THAT IS MY NEW QUESTION FOR YOU! IS THAT POSSIBLE?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Glad you got it more or less sorted, it sounds as if you had/have one pc using ISP cable Time Warner and the other pc on (old) ISP phone line. And that you have one general pc and one pc used for business.

Only you can decide on the best setup to fit your circumstances - paid for email or free email account. I can't see the need to have two ISPs just so you have two email addresses. I have about 7 or more email addresses - gmx, yahoo, gmail, hotmail outlook, talktalk (talktalk is my ISP) and only have one (ISP) internet provider, ALL of the email for all of them can be collected and sent on any of my pcs because I have accounts set to leave a copy on Server - on this pc I use Outlook Express and on another I use MS Office Outlook - and then again I can use Webmail for each of them.

You could just email everyone both from your old email address to tell them your new one, and also from your new one to say "use this one instead of that one"

Suggestion on here and also on ClickHere also may be suggestions on RoadRunner Mail Support

Like this post
butterball160

Likes # 0

To Lotvic: Ah yes, I could email everyone, but I have over a thousand contacts and how can I do this all at once. I know that I can have several email accounts, but I have to have a host and my host WAS Outlook Express until I changed to Time Warner. My reason for changing was that my provider with Outlook Express was raising fees quite a bit and Time Warner would save me over $25.00 per month for 3 services. But the host for email from Time Warner is Road Runner. So to keep Outlook Express, I have to pay extra. I guess that being a host is different than just being a mailbox such as yahoo or gmail as I have those accounts for various things like Website, etc. I plan to make changes through mailings and brochures for about a year and then I can drop Outlook Express. I will say that I prefer the Outlook Express set up much better than all of the others..so much easier to use. And, I have been scanning and emailing with the RR host with no problems at all. I did have to spend a few hours today helping my husband change his settings on his I-Phone as it was his email that got changed! He was not happy...........I can't thank you enough for sticking with me through this whole transition. I learned a lot about emails while doing this. And I love this site. Hope to visit the UK one of these days. My husband's family came from Kircaudy, Scotland and he has been back. Hope I run into you again on this site.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Can you explain what you mean by Outlook Express being a host?

I don't know what you mean about paying extra to keep Outlook Express. OE is just a pc email client program from Microsoft that came as part of XP to collect/send emails on a pc . You don't even get Outlook Express with Vista, W7 or W8

Maybe you mean that your old ISP provided a cd that added their brand name to Outlook Express header bar? That is just a registry edit and is easy to alter, it doesn't mean that you have to pay to keep Outlook Express.

OE was replaced by Windows Mail (Vista), and then by Windows Live Mail. WLM can be downloaded from Microsoft for free and used to collect all your emails. You can use any email client you wish, you don't have to have the MSoft ones.

I find it much better to have my email address(es) independent of ISPs (I don't use my provided TalkTalk isp's one, though had to register for one with them)

I'm not keen on Gmail either. I do like gmx.com as the range of services is excellent and free, might be worth you having a look.

I am a little puzzled by your set up - I don't feel that I've understood quite what's what....

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Here is TimeWarner's instructions to use Outlook Express to collect Roadrunner email address

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room