We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

can i delete hidden '.unwanted' folder on external hdd?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

There's not much else to say about them-i have these '.unwanted' folder files in a couple of the external drives wallpaper and music folders? Does anyone know why they may occur? thanks

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Can you see the contents? Are they not just "sample" Microsoft OS files?

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

they are hidden folders, but empty, no content in any of them. I wondered what their purpose might be if they were created by windows and not any specific program.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I take it your external drive is your backup drive in which case they must have been copied? Like you I don't know the reason for them being there but if you are sure they are empty I would delete them.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

"Unwanted" files are the files of a multi-file torrent which the user decided not to download, but which are still created because they are adjacent to the downloaded files and share the same torrent piece. They are usually located in the hidden .unwanted folders in the torrent's folder structure.

Just copied this off the net.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

Im not 100% as Im wondering why they would be associated with certain folders, but it does sound possible-I will find out! thanks

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I could easily be wrong here but, if I remember rightly, all 'Plug & Play' Drives have a folder that contains their own specific Drivers.

If the Drive was either, WD (Western Digital) or Maxtor, that folder may contain the Free Back-up Software.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

My external hdd is a maxtor-the only other similar issue I have had is with unknown files popping up on a partition and the same external drive. I think I posted about that before, and it turned out that the system simply using them as temporary space for a program installation, and didnt delete these files afterwards, eg click here. Some of the other 'unwanted' hidden folders were possibly related to a download, but after a check there are no related programs installed, and I could not see these folders until now. I think you may be right about some old drives having their own drivers or files already present on a new drive, but I believe the external I have here did not.

The external hdd is shared but hardly used, so hopefully its not starting to become corrupt (western digital elements). It does seem to be working fine and passes error checks, although it has never been defragmented on a regular basis (!)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance