We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

TOSHIBA Portage 100 does not like Ubuntu

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

This elderly notebook has come my way; and I thought it would be nice get rid of XP Pro and make it a totally Linux machine. To this end several magazine distro's and a dedicated CD of UBUNTU 10 are available. All have been tried and all have failed to either load the 'Run from disc' option or to do a total install. Each attempt failure is the same for all. The UBUNTU screen comes up and shows progress bar. A restart is indicated. POST asks select Windoze or Ubuntu. Select Ubuntu- the load screen runs then comes message ''Failed to find shell to load to'' Several thoughts come to mind- not enough HD space-10 Gb available- or the build wont allow it. Intel Mobile premium M 1.4 HD Max 32 Gb 1Gb RAM

One last hindrance Taking the HD out to format externally is a NoNo it is situated internally in the unit with no external access 'hatch' Last thought – the XP installation seems different somehow- works OK but shows it's difference in the 'Shut-down; sequence-- the stand by/hibernate button is greyed out thus does not work.

Any thoughts welcome'

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

if u have acronis try wiping the hard drive and then reinstall a distro

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Two things to try.

1. Try Puppy Linux - it's a minimalistic distribution that need few resources to run. If that fails, you have to question whether you have a hardware problem.

2. Use your Ubuntu DVD and at the menu, run the memtest option and let it complete. It maybe memory corruption (I've had a couple in the past month).

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thank you both

Acronis not available

have carried oit disc clean up and Defrag- that gained a gigabyte

Will download and take a bash at 'puppy'

'crunch bang has also been recommended'

Do you know that one last chip?

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Yes, CrunchBang is also a very minimalist distro, but is less easy to use than Puppy. I've used it in the past and it's fun, but not the easiest in the world to get to grips with.

Unless it's changed, there's no conventional menu system, you simply right-click on the desktop (if I remember rightly) to bring up a context sensitive list of applications.

It's not that it's bad, just different. It is however, very, very fast.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features