We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

After the Avast Thread other Day

woodchip
Resolved

Likes # 0

Avast tried to update to latest version yesterday and I lost my Wireless network, i.e it would not stay connected. I now have the problem after doing a Restore in XP of Avast as lost the Reg key, though I have the key I do not know how to install it as when I try it wants a File not the E-Mail that I got. and I do not want to mess about registering as it runs to next August

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS I pressed the Trial so it would work till I get it sorted

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Do you have the Paid for Avast? if so Avast8 key input seems to be under 'Maintenance' tab and then on the left menu 'Registration'

Free Avast: When I installed from scratch on a different hdd last month I didn't have or get a key to enter, but did have to register with an email address (a new email addy not used before in connection with Avast) before it showed expiration date in program. The free one doesn't seem to have any key input from users anymore. (note: although I registered the free one, I didn't and haven't created the new Avast Account thingy)

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

no the free version, I am going to look for a older version on my backups so I can remove the new, So that I can then put the Key in. It can then update itself after I do that

Like this post
alB*

Likes # 0

I you're stuck, older versions of Avast can be downloaded from FileHippo --Avast downloads ...alB

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Found it on one of my drives, version 4.6 thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

woodchip there's been a lot of complaints, lately, about Avast on these boards. I've always recommended Avast on here for years. I now find they've lost their way. Last year I believe they were taken over by another company?

Anyway, to cut a long story short, used their removal tool, re-booted and now use the free version of AVG 2013. AVG now works as the old Avast used to.

Try AVG, although I vowed many years ago never to use AVG when Avast was so good, I'm now swallowing my words.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Hmm rdave13, worth me thinking about that, I'm not too keen on the new version Avast8, thought it was just me being an old stick in the mud not liking the changes ;-)

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Got it working and registered, Removed it fully. By Add Remove then Avast Free Removal tool then Search in Win Explorer deleted all it found same in Regedit. Then reinstalled and it then let me copy paste the key into the correct box that did not show before. So its back up and running

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic, took me a while to notice how bad Avast has become. I'm sorry they've lost the plot but they've certainly lost it with the take-over of the company.

I would seriously think of another free AV rather than Avast.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

woodchip, I know that this is the egg trying to teach the hen but I strongly advise that you remove Avast and find another AV.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do