We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer Aspire T120E Athlon 3200+ upgrade

Tinker2

Likes # 0

I have just bought an Athlon 3200+ cpu to upgrade my PC, how do I change the settings to get the most out of it? Also, can I over-clock it and if so how?

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 1

<<Im upgrading from a Sempron to an Athlon, will I find dip or pin switches or is it altered in the bios?>>

No, you don't need to do anything in the bios, it'll be recognised. Make sure you clean the old thermal paste & reapply it on the heatsink/fan.

I'm sure you'll see an instant performance boost from the Athlon chip compare to the Sempron , done that before but don't expect miracles. :)

P.S. Don't forget you might have to upgrade the rams to achieve the full performance boost but please work out the price first to see if it really worths.

Like this post
Tinker2

Likes # 0

Thanks. Regarding the memory, I also have 2x 1gb memory to install at the same time (again the most this mobo will support). Whilst not expecting miracles I am hoping for a marked improvement.

Thanks again for the help.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

<< I have just bought an Athlon 3200+ cpu to upgrade my PC >> You understand your 3200+ is a socket A & very old indeed.

<< how do I change the settings to get the most out of it? >> Doesn't matter how you tweak the settings ,it'll still be too slow for today's computing standard.

<< Also, can I over-clock it and if so how? >> I doubt the Acer bios will let you do it.

Like this post
Tinker2

Likes # 0

Yeah I know its an old chip, its going into an old PC. The Acer Aspire T120E sports a G74M motherboard, and the Athlon 3200+ is the best cpu this board will support. Perhaps I wasnt clear in my initial post, Im upgrading from a Sempron to an Athlon, will I find dip or pin switches or is it altered in the bios? Please feel free to give as much detail as you can. Thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...