We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Levono Laptop Problems Starting Up.

Diversion

Likes # 0

Hi chaps it’s been a while since I used this forum; it hasn’t half changed as I can see for the better. The issue is that a Lenovo laptop that I’m looking at for a friend, when you switch it on all the lights light up on it but no operating system loads and the screen doesn’t light up. I think it’s the hard drive or graphics card; any input will be much appreciated.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Remove battery try on mains only

If still no go Remove HDD and see if it boots to an error message

If still no screen try plugging it into an external monitor / TV use the Fn+ f key to toggle to external screen.

Like this post
Diversion

Likes # 0

You will have bear with me on this Fruit Bat /\0/\ as it takes me some time to carry out these tests and checks now, as I've really ill over the past two to three years and takes me longer to do things these days as I have become one of the disabled. Thanks so much for the input I have carried out the first two checks and I'll link it up to the monitor tomorrow, the first two didn't work and the hard drive was made August 2010 and it has Windows 7 on the drive; I'll put the results of the graphics on the monitor test tomorrow as I will need help from my wife.

Like this post
Diversion

Likes # 0

None the above worked Fruit Bat /\0/\ I tried it on the both the Dell and HP monitors, but when I took the hard drive out it did nothing and when I put it back in I couldn’t hear the hard drive start up so I don’t know whether it’s the hard drive or graphics card or both.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. Turn off the computer,
  2. Take the battery out
  3. Take out the power supply
  4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
  5. Reconnect power supply
  6. Retry

If nothing on screen an HDD is not spinning up then possibly a motherboard fault. the above will clear static from the board and has ben known to work on more than one occasion.

Like this post
Diversion

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ this didn’t work either but I’ve just been in contact with the lady that asked to look at it, and she informed that the DVD/CD ROM wasn’t working either or I would have suspected the motherboard right away. With this added information I assume as you suggested that it’s a motherboard fault, I’ve looked up a Lenovo dealer just 2 miles from where we live I’ll print the address out for her to have it checked out (I know that I got the heading title wrong but you guys knew what I meant). Thanks for the input my friend and I’ll have to start using the Forum again.

Regards Diversion.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?