We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are these comonents all compatible for building a pc? Also, what do you think of them?

andytheiratepirate
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, I'm wanting to build a gaming PC.

my budget is about £700 (I wanted to spend £600 but I think I'll have to hurt my wallet for this one).

Here's what I have been thinking so far:

• AsRock 970 Extreme3 Motherboard

• Corsair TX750V2 Enthusiast Series 750W ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze PSU

• LG GH24NS90.AUAA50?B 24x SATA Bare Internal DVD Rewriter - Black

• Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Mid Tower ATX Case

• Kingston Technology HyperX 3K 2.5 inch 120GB SSD

• Western Digital 1TB internal Hard Drive - Caviar Blue (3.5 inch)

• Sapphire 11196-09-40G HD7950 3GB Vapox-X Graphics Card

• G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual Kit - Red

• AMD FX6300 Black Edition 6 Core (3.5/4.1GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 6MB Level 2 Cache, Socket AM3+, 95W, Retail Boxed)

I got the list from a YouTube vid but I've read some dodgy reviews regarding the motherboard.

What do you people think of these specs? I'd like to be able to play the latest games, but I'll mainly be programming graphical software (various simulations). As a developer I'm ashamed I don't know what's good (I'm sorry)

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Its a good spec for the price. The Asrock does seem to have a few issues but these seem to relate mainly to overclocking which I assume you wont be doing even though the black editions are made to be overclocked. Its a lot of board for the money.

You could save a little on the PSU as a 550w would suffice (minimum).

With a self build I always find it useful to get as much of the kit from the same supplier especially the processor, graphics card, memory, motherboard and SSD/HDD as, if there are any problems later, suppliers cant start blaming each other. Parts like cases, optical drives etc are add ons and can be purchased from anywhere.

I assume you have also considered the added cost of the OS, screen, keyboard and mouse?

I use Novatech as I have found their after sales service is very good but others have their own favourites.

Good luck with the build.

Like this post  
andytheiratepirate

Likes # 0

Thanks for the tips, Bris.

As far as the peripherals are concerned it'll be a process of begging and borrowing. I've heard good things about both overclockers and Novatech. I guess it'll come down to who's cheapest :)

I think the Asrock will be fine for my needs if I'm honest. As you mentioned, it seems the price is quite cheap for what the board actually offers.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Windows 10 is even more like Mac OS X, and not just because it's another OS Ten