We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

TalkTalk problems with anti virus software

GHC

Likes # 0

A friend tried to access her TalkTalk emails yesterday and found that there was a problem loading the emails and that she should "Click here". When she did her anti virus, Avast, claimed that Malware had been detected and the emailos wouldn't show. We tried all manner of Web shield settings but to no avail. Contacted TalkTalk who basically said it was Avast's problem and not theirs. Uninstalled Avast and installed AVG. Guess what. Same problem - malware and blocked. Contacted TalkTalk who said they didn't support either Avast or AVG and tried to sell us their own antivirus program. Claimed that both Avast and AVG were the problem. Must admit that I find that difficult to accept. Their final solution was to turn off the antu virus program. Reluctantly, I did so and the emails loaded perfectly, until the anti virus kicked in again and blocked them all. Anyone got any ideas other than a). shelling out for TalkTalk's solution or b). dumping the whole lot and migrating to Gmail or Hotmail. Many thanks

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I use the free version of Avira anti virus - have done for a couple of years. No problem with Pipex (Talk Talk)

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Having two antivirus programs can cause problems. Delete one of them then run some antimalewear like Malwarebytes

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It's odd that all of the emails should show as having problems with 2 anti-virus programs. How many e-mails? I would suspect the e-mails of containing a virus and would not have opened them.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Did you remove Avast using the removal tool in safe mode? It doesn't uninstall properly if not. That could be the problem. uninstall-utility. You can still run the utility now, if you haven't.

For years I've used Avast but had problems with it with Windows 8 64-bit. I've noticed a few posts here having some kind of a problem with Avast. So I removed it and now use AVG 2013 with no nagging or problems.

Still running Avast 8 on XP and it looks ok.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more