We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Aceess to internet from 2nd subnet in LAN

stamford7

Likes # 0

I have setup my with two subnets (192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x) and have a number of clients on both. I am using a 2750n router as my 'primary' router, and have a Server 2008 machine running RRAS as my other 'router' on the 192.168.1.x subnet.

On the 192.168.1.x network I have a server running DNS for local queries on that subnet and have 8.8.8.8 setup as a DNS forwarder. On the 192.168.0.x subnet I use the google DNS 8.8.8.8.

I have setup a static route between the two subnets and am able to ping clients between each subnet.

With regards to internet access, I am unable to get access to the internet from the 192.168.1.x subnet (no problems from 192.168.0.x subnet) and am unable to even ping a web IP address, and am wondering if I need to make any changes to the 2750's configuration to allow traffic from the other one to get out to the internet.

Please advise.

Andy

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Is there a particular reason for having separate subnets? If the two are able to ping one another, which the Subnet Mask would normally prevent, why not have a single subnet with all addresses being allocated by the main router's DHCP server, or give them manually configured addresses in the single subnet?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...