We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dell Inspiron 1720 - on boot, switches to ext monitor

onthelimit1

Likes # 0

This laptop was having all sorts of problems. Did a fresh install of Vista SP1 with no problems. On reboot, the screen was black. Plugged in a monitor to check. Worked. Tried to toggle Fn+F8 - no change - wouldn't switch to LCD. Shut down, rebooted - same. Shutdown, removed battery, held pwr button for a few secs, switched on - all normal. Switched off, same problem.

Have made sure all Dell drivers are up to date (no flags in device Manager), but still boots to ext monitor, and the switch from/to LCD is not working. Reset BIOS, no change. Don't even get a lightening of the screen and the Dell logo.

Any bright ideas please!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

With the monitor connected try right clicking on the screen and selecting graphics options and try changing back to laptop there. I have use of a Vista Compaq where the F toggle rarely works correctly.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell. Very strange, but when I booted it this morning, all was normal and I was able to switch between LCD and monitor as normal. Will leave it for a while, then try a restart to see what happens!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

On that Compaq I tend to avoid the toggle as it seems to give unpredictable results. I have never discovered why.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hmmm - curiouser and curiouser. If I do the remove battery etc bit, it starts normally. After a subsequent shutdown, there is no sign of the initial actions on the screen, but after a few seconds the screen lightens and the Vista logo shows. It then continues to boot normally. weird, but will have to be lived with, I think.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen