We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Poor video transfer quality

bosshu17
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am new to transferring from camcorder to pc so would be grateful for any help..

I bought one of those Video-2-PC kits off e-bay which is basically a USB cable and tutorial video. I managed to transfer from the camcorder (Sony Handycam TRV460E) and produce a DVD but have to say, was very disappointed with the results. The video quality was not as good as the original.

I since learned that firewire was the way forward and should expect like-for-like results.

I installed a firewire card (Startech 1394A) into my Dell Inspiron 660s tower. The results are pretty much the same as with the USB cable.

I have read that I should get a perfect digital picture using firewire.

Can anybody point me in the right direction please. I have spent about £60 already and am getting nowhere fast......

Like this post
bosshu17

Likes # 0

Downloaded WinDV but keep getting error: No video device found. Please help!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Did you have the Sony connected to Firewire and switched on?

As I understand the procedure, you have to use a program that will capture the playing video. So on that basis you would have to configure the quality of the capture in whatever program you use.

From what I've read you get better results with Firewire for video as it is a steady stream unlike usb which has ups and downs in speed. (might not be quite right, but that's how I understood it)

Also you haven't said what Op Sys you have on the Dell pc and whether you have been to Sony site and downloaded any drivers that may be needed.

Hopefully one of these guides will help:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/videotransfer

http://www.tw.sony-asia.com/support/resources/twTW/html/Usefulinfo/Transfervideo/Digital8.html

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how5607163transfer-digital-pc.html

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

sorry, I'll redo the last two links, tw.sony-asia which gives the options and how to do it. and the ehow link for general guide

Like this post
bosshu17

Likes # 0

Thanks for the info lotvic. I do not have the Driver cd for the camcorder so cannot use the alternative to Picture Package. Sony seem to have that driver sewn up. Cannot find it anywhere as a download.

On a happier note, I downloaded and burned some footage through Windows Movie Maker already installed on my Dell Inspiron 660s and the results are pretty close to the original (copied to a dvd as an AVI file). The colours are more true, the jerky picture is a whole lot smoother and there is less audio hiss.

I have about 20 Digital 8 tapes to edit and burn so hopefully can now proceed.

Many thanks to all for your valued advice.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

glad you have managed to get a reasonable result, Woolwell was spot on with suggestion of trying Windows MovieMaker :)

If you think it's sorted, you can close this thread by clicking on one of the big grey ticks at the right of any post and it will turn green. When page is refreshed the Thread will be marked 'Resolved'

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Glad you got a result. All the indicators pointed to the problem being with Arcsoft. I suggested Windows Movie Maker because it is free and I've used it with a Sony camcorder. If that didn't work I was going to suggest some other video editing packages.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...