We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Poor video transfer quality

bosshu17
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am new to transferring from camcorder to pc so would be grateful for any help..

I bought one of those Video-2-PC kits off e-bay which is basically a USB cable and tutorial video. I managed to transfer from the camcorder (Sony Handycam TRV460E) and produce a DVD but have to say, was very disappointed with the results. The video quality was not as good as the original.

I since learned that firewire was the way forward and should expect like-for-like results.

I installed a firewire card (Startech 1394A) into my Dell Inspiron 660s tower. The results are pretty much the same as with the USB cable.

I have read that I should get a perfect digital picture using firewire.

Can anybody point me in the right direction please. I have spent about £60 already and am getting nowhere fast......

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

What was it that was poor about the quality? Fuzzy? Washed out colour? Jerky movement? And: I assume what you're importing is an .avi file? What are you using (software) to transcode it to DVD format?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

By the way: historically, in the days of USB 1.0, Firewire was indeed superior to USB. With USB 2.0, that's now much less the case.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Its not the Wire, its the Camera and software used that makes for a good Video

Like this post
bosshu17

Likes # 0

I'm using Arcsoft showbiz software to capture and transfer. The picture does look 'washed out' and grainy. The results from the Sony camera on Digital8 tapes before transferring are really outstanding so there is something not right. The cable used to transfer from camera is a dv to firewire.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Then Software must be Altering the file, changing it to more compressed file. So its loosing Quality

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

I believe your camera records to MPEG-1 format? Your problem is likely to be in the encoding to DVD process - i.e. MPEG-1(camera) to MPEG-2(DVD).

If you can play the files can be played on your PC in good quality, but look bad when transferred to DVD, then this is definitely the case. You need to look for better DVD burning/authoring software.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Number six, I think you will find that MPEG-1 files are saved to the Memory Sticks, The Main Video is saved onto Hi8/Video8 Digital Tapes..

bosshu17, Try this little program, WinDV Click here it will make Very Large .AVI Files..

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

User Guide for Sony HandyCam DCR-TRV460E, Click here

Like this post
bosshu17

Likes # 0

Many thanks for all your help. I will get back to you after your advice is implemented.

Like this post
bosshu17

Likes # 0

Just checked a video clip I saved on Arcsoft showbiz and it is a TMS file. What does this mean and is this the reason I am getting poor results?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015