We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I retrieve my Outlook Address book?

ened

Likes # 0

I just built a Windows 7 machine and included my old Hard Drive without exporting the address book.

I really don't want to have to take it back out and re-instate my old machine just for this.

The old HDD is in my machine as 'G' drive.

Is there a way I can retrieve the Address Book from here?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You need to give yourself permission. Right click on the file and select properties then select the security tab and then make sure that you have full control.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

That is odd.

According to this I have Full Control. The only box which isn't ticked is 'Special Permissions' and I can't work out how to tick it.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

Actually, although the boxes are ticked they are also greyed out. I have just had a look at other files and the ticks are black.

I wonder if that anomaly has something to do with this. If it does how can I resolve it?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

This may help Wikihow

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

I need further help on this.

I finally managed to get it to accept the .pst file and several hours later it finished 'importing'.

But the address book is still blank!!!

I tried closing and opening Outlook and I tried re-booting but it is still not updated.

Am I missing a trick?

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

To update this:

I now have all my emails dating back to when I started the previous machine in 2011 so it has, it seems to me accepted the .pst file.

I could have lived without the emails it is the address I need.

Where will I find the addresses? I had assumed they would be automatically placed in the address book.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Have you looked at contacts to see if your old contacts are there? When you state "address book" what exactly do you mean? Is this when you start a new e-mail?

I assume that you haven't been backing up your Outlook contacts. I would have exported the contacts as a separate pst file before I removed the hard drive from the old computer. It would have been fairly straightforward to have then imported them from a memory stick.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

Woolwell Well I didn't and am now trying to retrieve something.

I have managed to import a .wab file.

The result is that when I click on the Address book in the ribbon it is blank.

However when I click on the Contacts at the bottom (of Outlook)there are four folders. Two say suggested Contacts and are blank, one says Contacts and is blank and I assume this is the one that I open when I open Address Book.

The fourth is called Contacts as well and it contains all my addresses.

The next question is how do I get this to show either in my Address Book or when I click on 'To', 'cc' etc in a new email, or both?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The suggested addresses in the To, cc, etc build over time from email addresses that you create. It used to be in a NK2 file but this has changed with Outlook 2010. I don't use Outlook 2010 so I'm on new territory. This may help How to import suggested contacts

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Missed about address book. When you create a new e-mail then address book should show. There should be a drop down arrow which should allow you to chose contacts. Read this too.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded