We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I retrieve my Outlook Address book?

ened

Likes # 0

I just built a Windows 7 machine and included my old Hard Drive without exporting the address book.

I really don't want to have to take it back out and re-instate my old machine just for this.

The old HDD is in my machine as 'G' drive.

Is there a way I can retrieve the Address Book from here?

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

This may help click here and here provided you can locate the PAB file it looks as if it could be possible.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Are you talking about Outlook, as part of Microsoft Office, or Outlook as Outlook.com?

If it is M$ Office Outlook, then you can import it into Outlook by clicking Import on the ribbon and giving it the address of the .pst file on your 'G' Drive

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that he means Outlook Express. There are too many Outlooks.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I know it's a bit late to be helpful now, but might help in the future. My life has been transformed (I've reinstalled XP too many times...) since making my default save location for everything an external USB drive - including my Outlook .pst file (and backing that up to another external drive, which I regularly back up to a drive that isn't attached to the PC..). If I could only work out how to get Chrome to store cookies and bookmarks on the same drive, my life would be complete... (I know: I need to get out more...)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

With Chrome bookmarks all you need to do is export them as an html file whenever they change. Cookeies though .....

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

It is MS Outlook 2010 and I have located the .pst file wee eddie mentioned. However when I try to import it I get an error message:

"An error occurred while importing or exporting and the import/export was terminated. MAPI error 0X80004005 was reported. Please try again later"

I shall have another look in the morning.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Just a possibility:

Copy it from the G Drive and Paste it into the C Drive

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

wee eddie It has occurred to me that this problem might be being caused by the password I had on my user a/c on my old machine.

Since reading your last post I have managed to render Outlook inoperable. It's alright now but I am wondering what will happen if I manage to get the .pst file in there through the import process and then it refuses to open again because, as it said, I 'do not have the permission'.

It is looking increasingly likely that I am going to have to take it out and temporarily re-instate my old machine.

One thing confusing me, though, is that there is already a .pst file in place even though the Address book is blank. The one from my old machine is much smaller than the new one.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Outlook automatically creates a pst file which contains all of the data (emails, contacts (the address book uses outlook's contacts), calendar, etc. Hence the reason for the existing pst file.

The error message you have received relates to the file being read only see Ms Support article. Try copying the file from the old hard drive to a different location and making sure that it is fully accessible. However I think that your problem does relate to password control and you need to take control of the hard drive. I'm trying to remember how to do it.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

Okay. I have removed the password and moved the .pst file to C drive.

I followed the instructions to import the file and directed it to the relevant place.

I got the following message: File Access is denied.You do not have the permission to access the file C:.......

I built the machine, am the only user and thought I had full administrative privileges.

What am I missing?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers