We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I record a digital program on Toshiba DVD Recorder &VCR

Trenny
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a Toshiba DVD Recorder &VCR which used to record analogue TV programs. Is it possible to record Digital TV programs with it? It plays DVDs and VCRs quite OK. This isn't strictly 'computers', I realise, but am lost as to where to look for an answer.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

You need to connect it to a Digital Set Top Box, which are quite cheap.You set it to record from AV and set the box to be on the challel you want at the time you want.

See:

Argos set top boxes

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Challel = channel!

Like this post
Trenny

Likes # 0

Many thanks. We have a set top box somewhere, i think! I was hoping that it might record without an extra appendage! I'll get my husband to have another go and report back.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

What's the Model Number of the Toshiba DVD Recorder.

Like this post
Trenny

Likes # 0

What I meant to ask is - Can the Toshiba VCR be used in conjunction with our Sony Digital TV? I understand that there isn't a suitable socket or something. Sorry to be vague,

Lazerus the 2nd - D-VR35SB

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I suspect that the Toshiba has a SCART , not HDMI output. Inside the tuner is analogue - now out of date. A set top box effectively becomes the tuner for the Toshiba. If there is an input SCART or HDMI on it you could, theoretically , get it to record from your television but there does not seem much point, and it means you have to programme the TV to output the channel you want - maybe whist you are out. In the end ,costly qas it may be, it is worth getting a digital DVD / HD recorder. If your TV has a SCART connector you should be able to watch VCR output.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Getting there slowly, Next,

What's the Model Number of the Sony Digital TV..

Like this post
Trenny

Likes # 0

Sony LCD Colour TV Bravia 32EX52X. Many thanks for your help.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

TV connections connect a scart or composit cable from the Tosh to the sony

Like this post
Trenny

Likes # 0

Many thanks, all. We eventually bought a Humax Recorder and my son set it up and it works a dream.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to upgrade to BT's YouView+ box: DTR-T1000 vs DTR-T2100

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features