We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Will my pc upgrade to Windows 8

eddiemoose

Likes # 0

I have a Dell laptop running Vista Home Premium 32bit SP2. System is: Intel Pentium Dual T2390 1.87 GHz, 2.00Gb RAM. Is it possible to upgrade to Windows 8 with this spec machine?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Here's what Microsoft says if you are running Vista 32 bit OK then the answer is a cautious yes but run the Upgrade Assistant to be sure

Like this post
eddiemoose

Likes # 0

Thank you chub-tor, I will try running them.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

As far as the hardware is concerned, almost certainly yes (I've run the upgrade assistant on much older machines and the answer has been yes). A key stumbling block that some older machines hit is the need for the BIOS "NX" [No eXecute) bit to be enabled (Windows 8 will set it if not already set) - the problem arises if a machine just does not support the NX bit at all. Even my 7 year old laptop (1.73Ghz Pentium M) supports it though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...