We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I Pad photo size question.

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

On my PC I usually keep photos taken on a camera , if they are "snapshots", at 7"x 5" at 300 dpi so I can print 2 to a page. This works out, for jpegs at about 1,400 Kb. I keep a folder for a photoframe where, to save space and realising that 72dpi is the max on screen, I reduce the copies to 72 dpi at a photoframe size, so the size comes down to about 60Kb. The instructions for the iPad are unclear re importing photos to it. Do I continue as with the photoframe to shrink them before transfer, or does the iPad do it automatically? I have a 32 Gig one so want to avoid too big jpegs.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I don't bother with any re-sizing for the iPad. With a fairly large hard drive I keep my photos in jpeg format usually still in mbs. Photos transferred to the iPad through iTunes are optimised for the iPad which, as I understand it, is a form of compression reducing the photos to a suitable size for the iPad. Related is the iPod Photo Cache on your pc Apple support which keeps the optimised images sent to the iPad. You will see that the thumbnails are quite small in size.

I suggest that the answer to your question is to let iTunes do its thing and not shrink before transfer as you could get further shrinking with loss of resolution.

BTW if you transfer through Dropbox then this optimisation doesn't take place.

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have several hundred photos on my 32Gb iPad and am nowhere near capacity.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Thanks for prompt response. I will just see , by using Windows explorer, what happens re size when it optimises.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Like Woolwell I just transfer my .jpeg photos from my windows pc to my I Pad via I Tunes sync and do not resize at all. There are all around 4Mb to 5 Mb in size and have no problems ( 32 Gb I Pad as well ! )

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

They are optimised for viewing and I don't find a problem with viewing on the TV through the iPad. Where I suspect that I would find a difference is if I printed a photo from the iPad which would have a lesser resolution than that on the PC. How much difference I don't know as I haven't tried it. Photos taken on the iPad are not reduced.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks. Maybe I am too used to DIY and forget that iPads are clever!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Hope that you are enjoying the iPad.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Yes, thanks. I bought it in the hope my wife will use it - she is a bit technophobic. So far she cautiously using it to surf... I have found it a bit difficult to set up e Mail under the "Other" category as I cant remember all the passwords and server protocols from Pipex - Tiscali - now Talk Talk, so she has a G Mail on the iPad at the moment. Reading a book on it and I suspect most folk only use a quarter of its potential. We are not Facebook or Twitterers ..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July