We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Adobe Reader Patch - Scam or Real?

thegreypanther

Likes # 0

I have just received an email which reads as follows;-

"Hi

Most of us use Adobe Reader on our computers.

Adobe have just released an emergency security update to patch zero-day vunerabilitiesin its Adobe Reader & Acrobat X1 software for Windows, Mac & Linux systems.

The flaw is already (quote latest Computeractive Magazine Issue 392)by criminals which causes computers to crash and enables them to take over your PC.

The up-date patch can be found at www.snipca.com/8508

Kind regards Terry"

I am 99% certain that this is a scam, and that "Terry" has had his email hijacked.

Could someone please confirm, and if this is a scam then others need to be warned.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I have not had that mail, but yes, I would say it is no doubt a Scam ... delete it!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

A quick Google confirms that there are many such scams doing the rounds, and have been doing so for some time.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

An Adobe patches should come from Adobe, not from some other website.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

An Adobe patches should come from Adobe, not from some other website.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Computeractive.co.uk use snipca.com as a 'tiny url' the url www.snipca.com/8508 takes you to h t t p s : / / www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb13-07.html (note, I have added spaces in the 'h t t p s' on purpose)

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/ca/pc-help/2172285/why-can-t-i-get-snipcacom-addresses-to-work

However that being said, I never trust unsolicited emails of this ilk and would update via the Adobe Reader program on my pc (if I had Adobe that is - I don't - I use Foxit Reader)

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Dump Adobe Reader and try Sumatra - very fast and, hopefully, safer than Adobe Reader.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...