We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Making VISTA recovery disks error problem

eysha1

Likes # 0

I was going to make recovery disks for my vista laptop, it's a Toshiba satelite A300-1MC but i get an error message i don't understand. the message is; ' error could not find file; C:\HDDRecovery\OriSetenu\Setenv.ini-HDDRecovery environment is not valid'

How do i fix this problem please? Thanks E.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Also internet explorer stops working too and asks to restart, is this linked?

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Make one from Microsoft community there are a few options you could chose from.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Nieces had two Tosh Sat laptops both failed the verification of the recovery disks.

Found it easier to set the machines up as required, (relevant protection packages and removal of Toshiba Bloatware that came pre installed) then use and imaging program (Acronis) to make and image of the drive.

Acronis is not free but there is plenty of free ones out there to image your drive I particularly like Marcium Reflect.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Since my vista is having problems ther is no point in making disks with that problem so i am looking to make a Vista sp2 disk so i can flatten my laptop and start again, i have my instalation code so just need the OS. Can i legally upgrade to windows 7 without cost and if not who do i pay? I would need a product key of course unless i can sue the one i have now for vista - can i?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes you would need a product key no you cannot use the vista key for W7

If you want to start over and have everything backed up

• 1) Hold down the power button for 10 (ten) seconds to switch off your machine. Please note: Holding down the power button on the machine forces it to switch off. Any unsaved data will be lost.

• 2) Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook.

• 3) When the machine Starts beeping; release the 0 key.
  • 4) When prompted by the warning screen; select Yes to continue with the system recovery.
  • 5) Select Recovery of Factory Default Software; click Next.
  • 6) Select Recover to out-of-box state. Click Next again.
  • 7) Click Next to Start recovery.

PS:ALL DATA WILL BE ERASED ON YOUR HARD DRIVE IF YOU PROCEED. YOU WILL NEED TO ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE THE POWER ADAPTER PLUGGED IN. DO NOT SWITCH OFF OR RESTART YOUR COMPUTER DURING THIS PROCESS.

Once its reset then try and make the recovery disks

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Many thanks Fruit-Bat, will follow your instructions.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...