We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hack or just a coincidence?

Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

This has happened to a friend of mine who can't access the internet now because of this problem:

My friend had a phone call from a guy claiming to be from Microsoft (to him it sounded like an Indian call centre - no offence meant by that he couldn't understand the guy very well).

The guy ("from microsoft") read out a long number that was unique to his laptop. Then he told my friend that he had quite a lot of problems on his laptop and then the guy on the phone managed to bring up a box on the laptop screen showing all these "problems".

The guy on the phone said that to fix all these "problems" it would cost my friend £85 to have all the problems solved or he lose everything on his laptop.

He is now locked out of his laptop and can't get on it with a configuration code.

When he loads up his laptop it loads up a black screen a box (that looks like it's from windows 95, but his laptop has windows 7 as the main OS) which asks for this code.

The strange thing is that he received the phone call on his house phone and they knew his full name.

Is this a strange situation or does this happen when you've done something you shouldn't have?

Like this post
Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

My friend says that when he turns his laptop on the screen is just black with the box asking for a code (which I'm guessing is how the scam works, pay the cash get the "code")

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Suggest that he tries to start it in safe mode and if possible runs TdssKiller

Like this post
Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

So just turn the laptop on and press F8?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Yes and see if that works.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It is unlikely the friend 'didn't do anything' on his laptop. More details from him are needed, he does himself a disservice by not saying exactly what he did etc. and then expecting advice to fix it. He is not the first to be taken in by this fraud scam. Can you find out exactly what the wording on screen is that he sees? Also there may have been keylogger, malware/spyware installed that will send his info over the internet once he does get past this first screen.

Don’t fall for phony phone tech support answers.microsoft.com

actionfraud.uk/microsoft-reveals-extent-of-phone-scam-june11

Like this post
Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

I thought there could be a key logger or something on his laptop that he might have opened in an e-mail? Could that work? He said it happened this morning and he didn't do anything when the guy was on the phone but the guy on the phone was already accessing his computer.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"the guy on the phone was already accessing his computer"

In what way? Remote Control of the mouse cursor? or just telling your friend certain 'details' (most of which are guesswork or details common to all pcs)

As I said - get more detail from your friend instead of you and us making wild guesses and hazarding a solution.

Overall IMHO, I could never trust it again so my advice is for him to restore to factory settings and start with a clean laptop and this time install antivirus etc programs.

Like this post
Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

The cursor was controlled by this person on the phone and then opened a box that showed all the problems. There isn't much more he can tell me. It happened just this morning.

He did just mention that the guy said it was £85 to keep the laptop "clean" for 2 years or £110 for 4 years.

But when my friend said he couldn't afford it the guy on the phone asked if he could afford £30.

Sounds like a big scam.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

"Sounds like a big scam". Not only sounds like big scam - it is a big scam. Your friend has been taken in badly by these people. If the cursor was controlled by the other person then he must have given access.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yeah, the old 'eventvwr.exe' scam. As you say he has W7, I suggest you google for:

event viewer windows 7 phone scam

and read about it

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia