We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which is faster, data transfer via USB, or WiFi?

Pizz88

Likes # 0

Hi there,

I'm looking at buying an external hard drive to back up around 1tb of data. I can't decide wether to buy a WD Mybook or the Mybook Live, which works wirelessly and acts as a nice media hub for the home, rather than a straight forward usb hard drive.

I want to experience the best transfer speeds ideally. One issue is, I'm not sure if my PC has USB 2 or USB 3... So i'm not sure what the transfer rate would be there.

Also, my wireless network is standard 'N'.

So, which would be faster? Any further advice? The other big plus on the Wireless option, is that it acts as a DNLA server, and I can stream stuff wirelessly to my Smart TV :)

Thanks!

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"...........to back up around 1tb of data..........I want to experience the best transfer speeds ideally."

USB will provide the best transfer speeds. USB2 operates at a theoretical maximum speed of 480 megabits per second, while USB3 is significantly faster at up to 5 gigabits per second. You can tell if your computer is USB3 equipped by looking that the sockets. If they've got a blue bit like this, then they are.

"Also, my wireless network is standard 'N'."

The wireless-N specification has a theoretical maximum speed of 300 megabits per second. However, a lot of routers and wireless adapters are "N lite" versions that have a maximum speed of just 150 megabits per second.

If you're going to be regularly backing up 1TB of data then I think you're likely to be very disappointed using a WiFi connection.

Like this post
Pizz88

Likes # 0

Ah ok, thats useful information. The 1TB is pretty much just the initial backup, and the further backups will be incremental as the files change.

I'm not looking into building a cheap system to act as a NAS, which I could just plug the USB3 HD into when I want it to act as network storage.

Thanks!

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

If you are going to that expense why not just buy yourself a NAS box which will connect to your router at whatever speed your network is capable of. If you really want a fast transfer make sure your computer has a GigaB network adaptor or card or has it already onboard and that you interpose a GB switch between your computer and the ADSL/?? router if that is not already a GB one. A four way GB switch can cost as little as £15 and I regularly transfer data at 5-600Gb/s true speed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks