We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Graphics Card Wont Stay in PCI-E Slot unless Pc is laid horizontaly.

LolEmAll

Likes # 0

Hey guys need a hand . pretty sure my card is losing connection when the pc is vertical and even when i screw it ioto the case the card stops running.

The card is a evga nvidia geforce gtx480

It was new about 8 months ago and no problems until this week.

I tried to boot it and it wouldnt do anything, i checked everything was connected and still nothing. so i laid it down to start fiddling and it suddenly booted and worked fine. happy i tip it up to usual position and it hangs and freezes the pc. try and restart.

nothing till i lay it down again. tried my second pci-e slot and still nothing from that standing up. if i screw the card to the case as you should it doesnt run at all as the case never fits perfectly and slightly pulls it away from the mobo.

Anyone have any ideas whats wrong? is it the mobo or card or connectors or am i just an idiot :D

please help

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

What motherboard have you got?

Have you checked the condition of the locking tab at the end of the PCI-e slot? Is it broken?

Like this post
LolEmAll

Likes # 0

its not broken off it still clicks in as it did when it used to work, and the mobo is an Asus P6T Se

any tips man will be much appreciated :D

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

<< if i screw the card to the case as you should it doesnt run at all as the case never fits perfectly and slightly pulls it away from the mobo. >> << pretty sure my card is losing connect ion when the pc is vertical and even when i screw it ioto the case the card stops running. >>

Please don't tell me you've been using the PC with the big card just pushed into the PCI-e slot without any other support i.e. properly screwed onto the case. In that case the slot connector might have been opened up gradually by the weight of the GTX480. BTW what PC case are you using?

<< tried my second pci-e slot and still nothing from that standing up >>

Do you mean PC booted with the GTX480 in 2nd slot horizontally but not vertically?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

perhaps there is a problem with the card, if one of the tracks is cracked then strain on the board may be flexing it open in the vertical position

or power lead loose to board

or fan sticking in vertical position

Like this post
LolEmAll

Likes # 0

it worked fine before with it screwed into the case, its a lian li case not sure the model. it had two screws to hold the gfx card in.

It doesnt work in either slot horizontally but ive heard you need to uninstall your graphics card drivers and reset the bios to get it to boot up in the second slot.

could be card if it is the card its in warranty and can be rma'd

it boots in pci-e slot 1 as it always used to but now it only boots when its layed down and has been fiddled with and repositioned to sit just right in the slot.

cheers for the hints guys keep replying :D

Like this post
LolEmAll

Likes # 0

looks to be the motherboard ive mem tested the ram, tested the hds tested the gfx in another machine and thre all fine. the processor has also been load tested with the tourture test and the same with the psu and they both hold up fine under the pressure, when it works it works fine until it locks up so im pretty sure its a mobo problem any ideas?

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

It does look like it's a mobo problem, suggest if you can get a not so weighty gx card in there & see if it works in an upright position.

if it does then it could be the PCI-e slot having problem holding onto the big GTX480, still suggest you rechecking the locking tab, this first generation design was a bit flimsy.

Like this post
LolEmAll

Likes # 0

recheck how so mate? its still there and holds it in , youve gotta pull it out to release the card. il try my mates card in there but i wouldnt be suprised if its the weight finally breaking the slot haha. ive ordered a new mobo which is a gigabyte.

ive used gigabyte mobos in the past and had no problems so hopefully we will have the same results with this one :D

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

<<if i screw the card to the case as you should it doesnt run at all as the case never fits perfectly and slightly pulls it away from the mobo.>>

This is what made me suspect the locking tab was faulty but if you say it still needs to be pulled away to release then it's working.

I suspect there is a micro hair crack in the PCI-e slot whick opens up & losing contact with the GTX480 in the upright position due to the weight. If a less weighty card works in an upright position then proves this theory further.

Like this post
LolEmAll

Likes # 0

light card tested and it seems more reliable but still is a bit intermittant when standing and laying down , its never 100% so hopefully this new mobo should fix my problems as any other faults have been excluded i feel.

If youve got any more ideas that would be great then my new one can just act as a back up board :D

cheers for the quick replys

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more