We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New PC. Data Location Problem

Legslip

Likes # 0

Just had a new PC with Win 8 installed on a 120gb SSD (C). It also has a separate 1tb Hard drive (G).

I presume the best way to move forward is to install all new programmes on C and all personal data on G.

How do I set up Documents, Music, Pictures & Videos on G and then set that as the default location when I save. These folders are currently on C.

Why don't the bloomin PC manufacturers do this before delivery?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Legslip: so far as I know, the only way of setting a different default location is in MS Office, where Word, Excel and PowerPoint all give you the option to set a different default save location - but you need to do each individually. I'd imagine the same option would exist in whatever music and image editing programs you use. There is also a cool tweak for Windows Explorer that enables you to change the default location in which it opens - see here.

And: 'yes' to where to install programs and save data.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I shall be following this thread with interest as I shall be replacing my PC within the next 24 months.

Your Set-up, with Windows and Software on an SSD and all the other files, My Docs, the bloody Libraries, etc. to be stored on a standard Hard Drive, is what I, like you, was imagining would be set up by the Manufacturer.

If this is not the case, as appears very likely. I shall need to know how to do it.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Leave op system on C and everything else on another drive (G)

You can manage location settings in Windows 8 through the control panel and the Settings charm.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

So, using the Charm. How do you move the Default Position of all the Standard Windows Folders?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

When Windows 8 is installed, 5 or 6 system folders are created depending on chosen bit-version:

1. PerfLogs (Performance Logs), where Windows stores performance and reliability logs
  2. Program Files, where applications and software are installed. Windows x86 (32-bit) stores all applications here, Windows x64 (64-bit) only native 64-bit applications
  3. Program Files (x86), exists only in Windows x64. All non-x64 applications are stored here
  4. Windows, which contains core operating system files and drivers
  5. ProgramData, where some applications store application and user specific settings and configuration files.
  6. Users. This is the “home” of all user profiles. When a new user account is created and this new user logs in first time, Windows creates a set of user specific folders (Users\Username)

Microsoft does not recommend relocating, moving Program Files, Program Files (x86) and Windows folders. Too much is depending on information and data stored on these three folders. (However it can be done if necessary)

There's nothing preventing you moving the Users folder.

See here

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

In which case, what is the point of an SSD below 1TB, or do you just ignore the standard Windows Folders and create your own on the Hard Drive, leaving MyDocs etc. empty.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I have just read the contents of the 'see here' link and all I can say is that for a collection of boffins they are incredibly stupid.

The logic of an OS on a SSD and Storage on a Hard Drive has been preached since SSDs become available. No wonder M$ has lost it's way.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Running Win 8 on 64 GB ssd. Two ordinary drives of 150 GB and 500 GB approx. Some programs running on SSD and have 20GB free. Like wee eddie says, I ignore the Windows folders ie Docs, Music etc and create my own on the Sata drives. When I need to install a program I create a folder on one of the data sata drives and using the 'custom' choice, during installation, I select that folder via the browse option. Works for me. If I need to use the libraries for, say, photos for a particular reason, then simply right click the created photo folder, or file, on any drive and select add to libraries.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Evening All. Blimey, didn't know it would be so bloomin complex. What worries me is that some people who are not highly PC literate will store data in the default library on C:\, totally unaware that they have a very large other drive to do it on.

If companies are going to set PC's up this way, and it IS a good thing, why cant they as part of their setup point all saved data files to the other drive?

Looking at the feedback, fink I'll just create personal folders on G:\ and endeavour to always save there.

Always interested in your advice Fruit Bat but the "See here" link has some distraught attempts on it from people trying to follow the advice.

Thanks all for the input!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes MS have made it ridiculously hard to move the relevant folders to another drive :0(

You can do it in audit mode a lot simpler when first installing windows 8 so easier if the PC companies did it properly from the start.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September