We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

C drive is 'creeping up'

Linkslade

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have a single SSD 128 gb drive partitioned 109gb on C and 10 gb on D (recovery) on a Windows Medion desktop running Vista..

Windows,program files etc are on C. All downloads are directed to an external drive.

Each time I boot up the used space on c increases slightly. Cannot remember this happening on the original HDD and wonder if something is amiss.

Any advice welcome.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Has it not got another internal drive?

I would have installed programs on another drive and

My docs temp folders pagefile etc. all set for another drive.

Like this post
Linkslade

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit bat,

Thanks for your reply.

There's no other drive, that's the reason I need the external. Would it be wise to partition the c drive and isolate the OS?

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

system restore?Try flushing all but your last restore point and see if the drive space increases?

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

I should say that it will increase but if you leave it off for a bit then see if if it stays the same after rebooting!

Like this post
Linkslade

Likes # 0

Thanks for your reply hiwatt.

Did a system restore, ran mbam,and an av scan and check disk and all was OK.

Still creeps up on boot up.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Virus adding files can do this

Like this post
Linkslade

Likes # 0

Yes Woodchip that did cross my mind as my AV has been updating quite a bit recently. Maybe it's best if I wait awhile and see if that's the problem.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

The joys of Windows:

Your creep will be made up of 'Restore Points' and Windows Indexing Files, amoung other things!

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

**Thanks for your reply hiwatt. Did a system restore,** I suggested turning system restore off as I think it could be that that's "eating up" your drive space?Vista by default uses a large amount of dosc space for system restore.Try turning it off and reboot and see if the drive space remains the same after reboot?

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Should say disc space.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger