We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Avast version 8 (latest version)

hiwatt

Likes # 0

Hi folks, has anyone been using the latest version of avast(version 8)without any problems?I was going to install it as I'm still on 7.0.1474 but I've read that some folk have been experiencing problems with this latest version? I just wanted to get as much advice as possible before installing it?Thanks folks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Been using OK for a while now

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The only thing that I have noticed is the 'updater', which keeps reminding me that I should download. After download there's a reboot required, then the reminder seems to appear again. Just keeping my eye on it at present?.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Thanks folks.I I think I'll just stay with version 7 for the meantime then and see how it pans out!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Its updated all my Xp PC's. No problems at all

Like this post
Zurdo

Likes # 0

Had no problems on 2 machines but on my wife's computer it froze on the registration screen. Ended up uninstalling all via revo and installing MS essentials on it.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

No problems with Avast at all. It seems to me they have moved up a gear. Extra features with no hidden extras - unlike AVG.

By the way, have you actually noticed how cheap the Pro version is? You can opt for a 20 day trial of it but I've seen it offered at less than £20 as well.

Like this post
Takeshi-Fujimoto

Likes # 0

You'd have no problems with Avast if... 1) if you'd have Avast as the only AntiVirus on your PC, having 2 or 3 different ones can cause them to conflict so uninstall the other one(s) before going ahead with the installation. 2) if you'd have no bad or broken sectors on your hard drive (google "hard drive broken sectors" for a few articles on the issue). A friend of mine had a quoter of his HDD damaged and parts of Avast happened to install on some of them aaaand...he had problems with it ever after, nightmare'ish ones)))

Other than that, you're good to go, Avast is reliable and trusted by millions. Good luck.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

AVG for me on Windows 8. Used Avast for years until recently.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Well I installed version 8 and I must say that I preferred the layout of version 7.Also it wont let me register it.Just keeps saying retrieving information.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Did you do a 'clean' install for 8 or did you over-ride 7 with the new install?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room