We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

so im going crazy here

djones

Likes # 0

I set up my network some 5 years ago. Followed the instructions. Never had a problem. Two years ago I moved a lady in who was programmer at work. But a real negative non trusting partner at home. It was nightmare her going through my PC when Id leave it on. So the more I kept my stuff buttoned up the worse it seemed the intrusion was. Now I've been through two pc's. (I know) She's moved but I fear my network is totally breached. I talked to my IP and they were so concerned with the few serial numbers I read to them off this equipment and the IP address I gave them that they sent out a guy. The guy walked in and said it wasn't his problem. I know one of the pieces -the wireless router is not the original as I found the packaging hiding in my closet, though it looks like the same model.

Some of the issues I have been having is "limited" designations to my connections. Notifications about DNS settings. I tried going to the Netgear's site to just kind of redo the settings and it said my router was being "managed" by another address. When I plug in an Ethernet cable to my main PC it showed an old network name, that I couldn't as administrator even access.

So I dug out modem disk and router disk...the router wont recognize the modem is even on or hooked up. I can get windows to "Connect anyway" and get online. Something isn't right here though.

The one thing that troubles me the most. Is without fail I have this media player acting s a media device...What can I do?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

As you are using a separate Modem and Router, are you using Cable broadband with a Cable Modem provided by the ISP? If so, I'd suggest connecting the computer directly to it with an ethernet cable, missing out the router until you can be satisfied that you have a secure router that you can use. Then, if using a router "wirelessly", make sure it is secured with WPA2 and that you use an encryption key that you haven't used previously.

Like this post
djones

Likes # 0

Yes I am using Cable broadband. I have to remain wireless for the kid. I do try the Ethernet directly but then I am connected to a network of an old name that's inaccessible. When I try to just start all over the router wont recognize the modem its connected to. All the proper cables are hooked up. Its as if theres another router in this house somewhere or some adapter or switch that's really doing the work. There's also in the network list a maxed signal network named SKM5455. however I am in a multifamily building. all the other signals are at least a bar or two less.

Im running a motorolla sbv5220 surfboard modem and a netgear wireless n 150 router brand new acer with windows 8

there's always a media player type device lingering in the media device section of the network

I also fear in my investigating I do some damage and its been real defeating all the way around. Nothing will go as planned no matter what I do.

Side note...I had another new pc two months ago had to trade in for the acer. I was away for a few days while the one I suspect was still here. I came home to her being moved out to my brand new quad core running like a dinosaur and when I went to Reboot the pc the disks were missing. I asked her for them back and she denied it. I by chance ended up at her new residence, wouldn't you know it...both PC's restore disks were hiding in a box I snooped in in the garage. Its like she didn't want the way my rigs were set up to be undone. Though she denies having took the disks even to this day after I showed them to her that day at her house. I work from home and need this network secure :(

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"When I try to just start all over the router wont recognize the modem its connected to"

What do you mean it won't recognise it? All the router has to do is to get its addresses from the modem (IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS servers) and have internet access.

"All the proper cables are hooked up. Its as if theres another router in this house somewhere or some adapter or switch that's really doing the work"

If everything is physically connected by ethernet cables, or "wirelessly" with proper WPA/WPA2 encryption, you cannot be accessing the internet via another router.

"There's also in the network list a maxed signal network named SKM5455"

A computer with a Wireless Network Adapter will always display the SSID of any wireless networks that are within range. However, unless the network is unsecured, you won't be able to connect to it without the encryption key.

I know you've had a bad experience, but perhaps you're now being a bit too suspicious about ongoing security issues.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

mgmcc is spot on with the answers in his last post.

There are bound to be other networks listed on your machine - anything within range will be listed.

Maybe you should settle down and stop worrying so much. Provided you have a secure network key you'll be pretty safe from intruders.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert