We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

cannot get rid of error message "xvidcore.dll not found"

Florio

Likes # 0

I seem to have had a conflict of codecs, and so have removed some of them with the result that I now keep getting an error message "xvidcore.dll not found" every time I try to watch a video (usually with Media Player Classic). I can watch videos, but the message is annoying and I'd like to be able to get rid of it. I've tried most of the suggestions offered on the internet, including reinstalling the driver, adding a registry entry, placing a copy of the driver in SysWOW64 (which now has a padlock symbol next to it!) etc., but nothing seems to work. I'm tempted to just remove all my codecs and reinstall others, but I have a program (Subtitle Workshop, v.2.51) that I use very often, and it is very temperamental; if I install the wrong combination of codecs it won't run, so I'm very reluctant to make too many changes.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Are there any more suggestions here that you haven't tried?

Like this post
Florio

Likes # 0

Many thanks difarn,

I have now solved the problem, but I did have to systematically remove various codecs after reinstalling the xvidcore.dll file.

Florio

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...