We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

ADSL ROUTER PROBLEM

arnie30

Likes # 0

Hi can anyone help? I am about to install a Thomson ADSL wireless router VIA ethernet to a desktop pc and the router has been taken from a different pc that was also connect by an ethernet cable. My question is...do i need the original installation cd that came with the router to install on this different pc. I have the security password (wep) I believe so can I just plug and play so to speak or do i need software installed in the pc. the pc is running windows xp if this helps! I hear very often that router installation c.d's are not really needed and that they are only for people with less experience.

thanks in advance

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

why not try it and see?

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

The router will "plug & play" but the issues are;

is the router being used on the same adsl line with the same user and isp?

has 2nd PC ever been connected to the internet? If so it should see the router and connect subject to the above point. if the pc has not been connected previously there may be a bit of setting up needed

Connect it up and report back any error messages.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

The WEP password is for wireless (and these days one should really be using WPA / WPA 2, not WEP) and it sounds like you don't intend to use this for now (as you are going to use ethernet cable).

But you will need the router password to login to the router.

After cabling up:

Enter http:\192.168.1.254 in your browser

user: admin password is ????

Then you will need navigate the menus to set up you broadband username and password.

That's about it. No software needed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite